No Prayer For the Dying

How good is No Prayer For the Dying on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: No Prayer For the Dying

One of my favourites from this album, and definitely a really good song. Some melancholic parts, some more frantic (and as Foro points out, messy at times). Given the topic of the lyrics, they fall short of the later effort Sign Of The Cross, but are not bad. I'm undecided on what I think of the guitar solos. Sometimes I really like them, other times they just sound like wankery, but there are better ones - on this very album. (I'm thinking of Fates Warning and Mother Russia).

This is a solid 8.

Probably the best song on the album. I find the verses paticularly strong. I gave Tailgunner a 7 and I think this is better, but it's still not worth an 8 so I must give it 7/10 aswell.

With Public Enema, a true gem of this record.

I've always wondered about the meaning of the lyrics. I know they're pretty generic, but i feel general desperation and sincereness in this song. The build up is majestic - especially the part when song kicks off into higher gear, where Nicko and Steve literally carry the beat, guitars just adding with strummed powerchords. Solo is insane, the song peaks with "God give me the answer to my prayers..." part, and smoothly comes back down.

10/10!

I don't like this song as much as others. I don't see any thing really special about it besides the solo section and final chorus. 7/10

The only song from NPFTD along with Mother Russia & Public Enema that doesn't sound so filler. Still, just a 8.

A strong 8, what stands out to me the most is the guitar work, which is superb, good lyrcs and a fine performance from BD.

8/10, like Revelations I like the lead guitars on this track, and Bruce sounds better here than he does on other parts of the album.

This is probably the album's best song and thank goodness it's the title track that holds that trophy. great guitar work throughout. 9/10

Feels kind of strange to have such a calm song, a semi-ballad almost, as a title track, but I think it works.
The lyrics feels very simple, especially after the complex Seventh Son, but Bruce sings it with such emotion and makes it work.
The solos are more sloppyish played then the perfectly executed solos we've heard earlier albums, but at this point it seems fresh still.
While nothing is really great on this track, I enjoyed it just as I did with Holy Smoke!

7/10

8. Revelations Lite. One of the better songs on the album and one of the ones which I choose to listen to more often outside the album.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone
5 - Drifter

The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
7 - Children Of The Damned
8 - The Prisoner
7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
9 - The Number Of The Beast
10 - Run To The Hills
6 - Gangland
5 - Total Eclipse
10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Piece Of Mind - 7.44

8 - Where Eagles Dare
9 - Revelations
9 - Flight Of Icarus
7 - Die With Your Boots On
8 - The Trooper
7 - Still Life
6 - Quest For Fire
6 - Sun And Steel
7 - To Tame A Land

Powerslave - 6.75

8 - Aces High
7 - 2 Minutes To Midnight
3 - Loss Fer Words
7 - Flash Of The Blade
5 - The Duellists
6 - Back In The Village
9 - Powerslave
9 - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Somewhere In Time - 8.00

8 - Caught Somewhere In Time
9 - Wasted Years
8 - Sea Of Madness
8 - Heaven Can Wait
8 - The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
7 - Stranger In A Strange Land
8 - Deja Vu
8 - Alexander The Great

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - 8.25

7 - Moonchild
9 - Infinite Dreams
9 - Can I Play With Madness
9 - The Evil That Men Do
10 - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
6 - The Prophecy
8 - The Clairvoyant
8 - Only The Good Die Young

No Prayer For The Dying

6 - Tailgunner
6 - Holy Smoke
8 - No Prayer For The Dying

The best track of the album, but that doesn't say much. The first half of the song is pretty good, but the second half with those bizarre solos... less so.
7/10

A big step up from Holy Smoke, but far from being great. I like the calm part, but the instrumental part with solos is a tad annoying. 7/10

The best of the album. A very strong 9/10. The way the ballad and the fast middle part are connected, Bruce's performance... This is one of the reasons to buy the album. I never get tired listening to this one.

Back