No Prayer For the Dying

How good is No Prayer For the Dying on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: No Prayer For the Dying

My second least favorite song on the album.  The intro is pretty much just a carbon copy of the Infinite Dreams intro, and the fast part is generic. 4.

One of the best songs from Maiden ever  :halo:

10/10

7 from me. It's a great song, and I really do like the riffs and the instrumental parts, but there's something about it that makes you feel like you're not listening to calssic Maiden anymore, and that brings it down a couple of notches.
A really great song in 90's standarts though. Like a 9.

I find this to be the 2nd best song off the album. Like what Mega said, it's got good riffs and instrumental section (and Bruce doesn't sound too bad either) but it just doesn't have that something extra that the 9s and 10s have. So I'm going to give it an 8/10.

The highlight of the album.

The melody at the start of this song is worth a 10 alone. It really gives the song a mellow and almost sad atmosphere. Lyrics are interesting and the vocal delivery is top notch, especially when he hits the high note at the end. A very frantic solo section where the both seem to shred. But its still a very tastefull solo section.

The song may not be on the same level as PFD or HBTN but is still worthy of a 10. Especially compared to the other songs on this album.

10/10

8 out of 10... Probably the highlight of the album for me, and it's strongest track. Janick's solo is one of my Gers favorites.

I like to think of this one as the epic that wasn’t. It’s got the feel of one of the band’s weightier tracks, even though it’s less than 4 1/2 minutes long, isn't that complex, and probably could have benefited from an additional instrumental part. That said, the middle section is vintage Maiden. The melody grabs you by the heart. And it’s the only song on the album where Bruce really sounds like Bruce. It’s always been my favourite song off No Prayer. I waver between wondering if I overrate it or underrate it because of that. Eight.

The guitar does a job on this one. One of the best Maiden riffs. Bruce also sings the first verse and the last lines pretty well.

8/10.

I love the melodies in this song, and like mckindog said, it could have been something great.  The solos are probably my favourite off the album.  Bruce's singing could pull the rating down a bit, but I'll give this a 9 as it's still the best song off the album.

Edit: On second thought (right after voting) that is too high compared to what I've been giving to some 80s songs, but in this case the album context gives the song a bit of a boost.

The lead guitar is fantastic, and I love the introspective, Dickinsonesque lyrics. I even like the fact that it doesn't really have a chorus.

I'd give it a solid 8.

I have a funny feeling that had this song been released in the 2000s it would have been twice as long as it bears the structure of reunion era Maiden to a T, but that's part of the originals charm.  They pack a lot into a shorter song.  And still manages to make it feel cinematic and big (I have a similar opinion on Mother Russia as well).

I really wish they would bring this song back live as it would totally work with the current line up.  A forgotten gem.

Reactions: jcv

A solid song, and among the better ones on this album; highlight of the song for me is the second Murray solo and what's going on behind it. 4/10

One of my favourites, actually. I like the opening and chorus melodies a lot, and the lyrics hit the right spots even if they're not particularly deep. One of the few songs were Bruce's experimentation with harsher vocals really works. 10/10.

national acrobat said:
A solid song, and among the better ones on this album; highlight of the song for me is the second Murray solo and what's going on behind it.

Hm Hm

national acrobat said:

Huh

Haunting, melancholy first half followed by a sloppy distorted section that really could have been epic. Still, a solid centrepiece for the album.

8/10 A good song with some good melodies.

I'm with Albie; a solid 7.5.... I rounded down though.  ;)

I love those melodies as well. When done live, Bruce always did some extra non-word vocals: "yeaahhhh, ohhhh etc..." , something that felt as a pretty good addition (and sounded way better than how I just wrote it :D ).

What drags the grade down for me, is the fast mid-part which I find a bit too wild, even messy. It feels it doesn't fit that excellent. I always thought something was wrong about it, and reading The Mid-Distance Runner's post, it seems I am not the only one.

Incidentally this part was influential for Afraid to Shoot Strangers, but somehow I like that part better, maybe because it feels like it's more in control, and I prefer the vocals and solos as well.

So, my grade will be just under 8.5, thus it will be an 8.

Back