Nightwish

Do you have a source for this?
I don't think Marko had another job when he was in the band, same for Emppu.
Marko and Emppu get a little for song royalties, but now in 2024 it is not much. And if the band is not touring, they can’t earn big bucks from Nightwish. Marko and Emppu also did guest apperances for other bands, Marko also produced some things like Amorphis vocals. Some money there to, but not as much as Nightwish touring.

Back in the 2000’s, they did very well. During the Once tour, the guys in the band made their own partnership company called Scene Nation, who took care of their paychecks, and they could get enough to live off even the years they were not touring. Anette, Floor and Troy was never a part of this. I don’t know if this company exist today, as both Jukka and Marko are not part of the band anymore.

Marko quit the band partly due to business related matters. Lots of hard work, getting less money due to splitting with six people instead of five, downloading and streaming instead of selling albums, combined with illness took its toll on Marko.

So they're cancelling people. Only good opinions is allowed. Idiots. Indeed era of the social 'bubbles'.

Well...

Echo.png

You know, as a traditional-leaning Catholic I find it genuinely hilarious how Tuomas and Mark Jansen were thinking they were writing about organised religion (which they apparently know nothing about) with stuff like weak Fantasy, Obsessive Devotion, The Embrace That Smothers etc.

But no, they were actually talking about their fandoms.

EDIT: to be fair, it seems like it is a project of one mod - the others seem to disagree at least to a degree and one mod has said that they have to have a mod meeting about this and that "We discussed the matter a little bit though but did not conclude anything yet. I think Cacanny wants to get feedback from the comunity before we change anything."

The reactions are overwhelmingly negative, though.

Mods.png

Last edited:
This behaviour was also very common on the Nightwish BB back in the day. No room for questioning. I bet he/she is one of the moderators from the Nightwish BB

Cool riff. Other than that, when I close my eyes, I hear more of a Meat Loaf fronting Toto, which is certainly unexpected (especially since they all look like rejects from Black Label Society), but I don't know how much of that do I really need.

:)

I actually liked this second single a lot. It's not absolutely mind-blowing, but I love its somewhat uneasy, grinding vibe a lot and overall, I quite like it!

I still have the same opinion on Perfume of the Timeless... which was not really having an opinion about it. I say it again: sounds like Nightwish and I like Nightwish. I don't have particularly strong feelings towards the song for either way. However, I expect it to find its place on the album very well and fit there just fine.

Ah, new Marko single too! His solo album is rather important one for me, the Finnish version in particular, so I'm certainly looking forward for a new one. Frankenstein's Wife sounds... nice? It's alright. Next one, please! :D

After repeated listens, I still hear a lot of Anette-era vibes, which means this will probably be their best work in 13 years at the very least. Like I wrote on Reddit, I was first pretty meh about the album, hating the current era in general, as of now I'm hyped to, like, 7-8/10, it's probably my most expected album in the foreseeable future, after Opeth and possibly Winterfylleth.

The 3rd single, '' The Ocean Of Strange Islands'' is the longest song on the album (with the title track being a 2-minutes intro to it?) and that's a cool title.
I think this is probably the best of the songs so far, and the one that excites me the most.

I mean, right from the opening symphonic and really catchy riff. Pure classic Nightwish (2002/2004 era) meets their new sound, again. Or from the Anette era. Effective verses that blend well with the very nice chorus. At least there is a tasty short solo. Besides the melodies, the drumming is a highlight of the song. The middle part is needed for the song - chaotic part, cool tribal part and calm part, as we expected. But it could have been even more interesting with more guitar action, although the different verses fit good. Floor is great, lots of emotions and those high vocals. The heavy riff after that is cool (could have been used again earlier with a solo). The over 2-minutes outro with the bagpipe adds a fitting and impactful end to the chaos before, but I wish the guitar had been used here as well. One can say too long for its parts, but they are impactful and that's what matters.

I think this song will remain one of the highlights from the album. Another memorable epic from the band.

Back