Nightwish

So latest news now from Kai Hahto is that Nightwish will likely not play any live shows for a few years…strange decision by Tuomas. He seemed to miss playing live during the Covid downtime. And he always knows what he will do many years ahead. Floor also wanted to tour more, and she was dissapointed by not touring the new album in 2024. And now we will likely not see them on stage until 2026 or 2027.

Please, please, please, Tuomas, I beseech you, just tone it down with the obnoxious preaching on nature and humanity and politics and what fuck and go back to the ringmaster in a top hat, channeling his inner puer aeternus, talking about Peter Pan and raping dolls in the attic and such.

The latter was perfect, the former doesn't really suit you, it never did.

Please, just one more fairytalesque song, only one and I'll forgive the past two... things and proclaim Nightwish as my favourite band ever, you can even keep the Floordozer.

Pretty, pretty please!

Tarja and Marko are getting a little more adventurous...

According to the setlist they also did Wish I Had An Angel and Phantom of The Opera, but no videos have surfaced yet (not even potato videos like these ones).

Ah-ha! Non-potato!

Hearing the crowd erupt with joy during Marko's notes and Tarja's final scream during Phantom is really chilling. So cool to see this. You can see how much fun Tarja is having, which is something I cannot really say about any of her onstage performances with Nightwish. I mean, she's doing a little dance during I Wish I Had An Angel! Wild stuff.

Also, Marko's definitely losing some of the muscle memory on those super high screamy parts, which is to be expected with age. He held on to his higher register longer than I thought he would.

So, it means there was something very bad behind the curtains between Marko and Tuomas. Marco was essential to Nightwish, imo. Maybe he was underpaid?

Last edited:
So, it means there was something very bad behind the curtains between Marco and Tuomas. Marco was essential to Nightwish, imo. Maybe he was underpaid?
It wasn't a question of money. It was a question of management. Tarja's husband was fully responsible for band's split with Tarja. It was explained before by all band members and ex-band members (Tarja) in more or less recent interviews.

Last edited:
So, it means there was something very bad behind the curtains between Marco and Tuomas. Marco was essential to Nightwish, imo. Maybe he was underpaid?
I don’t think so. I think Marco hit his burn out point and just couldn’t carry on. He didn’t want to deal with the pressure of being in such a massive band with high expectations and (apparently) untrustworthy agents and managers.

He has enough clout when paired with Tarja to be fully independent, even if they start a new band. He seemed sick of playing music on other people’s terms.

My guess is, though, The Dead Boy took his resignation poorly and they have since fallen out.

Marko was burnt out by depression and sickness, getting paid less for more work (like all other band out there) over the years and possibly also had a hard time dealing with no work during the pandemic. He have also been through a divorce, getting married again, moving abroad and getting a new kid as well. Don’t think he had any personal falling out with Tuomas, but they are Finns, they don’t talk about their feelings with each other

My guess is, though, The Dead Boy took his resignation poorly and they have since fallen out.
Don’t forget that Marko has been on good terms with Tarja and even performed with her before he left the band. Additionally, Floor has had Tarja on her podcast and Tuomas has even said that he’s open now to having her on for a one-off show. To me it sounds like most of the bad blood is in the past and they’ve grown up a bit, but who really knows what’s going on behind the scenes.

I know that Nightwish has had issues with their record label as well and I personally tend to think that Marko’s departure and the band’s current abstinence from touring is co-related, a symptom of frustrations with the industry as a whole. Marko was just the first to throw in the towel.

Back