Nightwish

New album is being recorded now! Any thoughts? I hope they will pull out some more guitar oriented songs now, there have been just a few of these the last 15 years. But will Tuomas do a full blown orchestral album before they take a hiatus,to top Human II Nature? And then he go doing those castle gigs with Auri?

Whatever you want to call the direction they took on

HN.png

I hope they pick the completely opposite one. And no, I don't expect power metal from them, or even anything like Century Child or Once, I'd be perfectly happy with Tuomas trying to make another Dark Passion Play of sorts. Or even Imaginareum, with the weirdness of a digestible sort, just not cringe like Harvest or embarassing self-indulgence vanity projects like All the Cogs and Wheels and Joys and Sorrows and Whales and Carcasses and Birds and Trees and Jock Itches and Diaper Rashes that Theodor Adorno Saw in the World.

(if you want to do classical, do classical, if you want to do movie scores, do that, but don't purport to do "suites" of the former filled with the latter)

I already must live with the embarassment of having among my favourites one beloved and talented musician I deeply respect who thinks that Ludovico Einaudi is an actual composer (see current profile picture), thank you very much.

I'm not really holding my breath, though. In all probability I expect another "PseudoPaganShinyHappyMotherGayaWeepsMotherlyFloorPreachesIfThereIsGuitarThenTheRiff'sProbablyRegurgitatedOrchestralBoomsNoisesAndVagueCheapHumanism" album, even though I'd be really happy if I had to eat crow in the end.

Tuomas is a ringmaster, not a sage. I wish he remembered that.

Whatever you want to call the direction they took on

View attachment 28656

I hope they pick the completely opposite one. And no, I don't expect power metal from them, or even anything like Century Child or Once, I'd be perfectly happy with Tuomas trying to make another Dark Passion Play of sorts. Or even Imaginareum, with the weirdness of a digestible sort, just not cringe like Harvest or embarassing self-indulgence vanity projects like All the Cogs and Wheels and Joys and Sorrows and Whales and Carcasses and Birds and Trees and Jock Itches and Diaper Rashes that Theodor Adorno Saw in the World.

(if you want to do classical, do classical, if you want to do movie scores, do that, but don't purport to do "suites" of the former filled with the latter)

I already must live with the embarassment of having among my favourites one beloved and talented musician I deeply respect who thinks that Ludovico Einaudi is an actual composer (see current profile picture), thank you very much.

I'm not really holding my breath, though. In all probability I expect another "PseudoPaganShinyHappyMotherGayaWeepsMotherlyFloorPreachesIfThereIsGuitarThenTheRiff'sProbablyRegurgitatedOrchestralBoomsNoisesAndVagueCheapHumanism" album, even though I'd be really happy if I had to eat crow in the end.

Tuomas is a ringmaster, not a sage. I wish he remembered that.
Without wanting to start an argument, I find your comment about Einaudi not being a composer slightly odd. Like him or loath him, he has carved a niche that has made him very successful.

In my years working with composers, I have found the ones who dislike Einaudi passionately are those pissed off that he has carved out a niche doing something very simple and they can’t catch a break.

Without wanting to start an argument, I find your comment about Einaudi not being a composer slightly odd. Like him or loath him, he has carved a niche that has made him very successful.

In my years working with composers, I have found the ones who dislike Einaudi passionately are those pissed off that he has carved out a niche doing something very simple and they can’t catch a break.

Sorry to offend you, but I can't not be honest in this case.

I consider it to be elevator music, not classical music. It is even more simplistic and "cheap" than film score music and that's already shallow enough, usually. I mean, I love Shore's score to LOTR and it's quite dense regarding its leitmotifs, but you still wouldn't confuse it with actual classical works. Einaudi sounds like a corporate-owned music bank for YouTube ads. This is what the alleged AI future of music will probably sound like.

He's the Kenny G of classical - that is, this is the first time I've seen him defended on any forum even remotely dedicated to music.

I hate him with a passion, not being a composer, just a listener, but he's offensive to me. Sorry.

But to each his own, this is probably beyond the score of this thread.

Peace and love.

But I think Tuomas was honest the whole time about what it would be. He said he watched a bunch of nature documentaries and then decided to write what he felt their score should be. It was never intended to be a classical suite, just a film score without the film.

Sorry to offend you, but I can't not be honest in this case.

I consider it to be elevator music, not classical music. It is even more simplistic and "cheap" than film score music and that's already shallow enough, usually. I mean, I love Shore's score to LOTR and it's quite dense regarding its leitmotifs, but you still wouldn't confuse it with actual classical works. Einaudi sounds like a corporate-owned music bank for YouTube ads. This is what the alleged AI future of music will probably sound like.

He's the Kenny G of classical - that is, this is the first time I've seen him defended on any forum even remotely dedicated to music.

I hate him with a passion, not being a composer, just a listener, but he's offensive to me. Sorry.

But to each his own, this is probably beyond the score of this thread.

Peace and love.
You didn’t offend me at all. Good call on Howard Shore!

I like Einaudi’s music. It is nice to have in the background when I am working or settling my daughter.

I agree that his music simplistic, but I think that is part of the appeal. Not everyone has the attention span or cares to learn how Haydn develops motifs over the course of a string quartet composed in sonata form. I studied music at university and now I teach it, so therefore I find that kind of thing interesting. The average music fan doesn’t. They just want something on that is pleasant to listen to, not an intellectual exercise. That is a major problem with why classical music doesn’t click with most people.

I do feel there is an element of jealousy from composers when it comes to Einaudi. He has carved a niche composing simple music, while they struggle to get commissions or end up composing for Z-list films on Netflix.

Another weird one, but I guess better than Linkin Park. Interesting arrangement at least, even if she seems to just be singing nonsense syllables during the first pre-chorus.

Shame on me maybe, but I really like The Harvest. :oops: And overall, I'm quite fond of the Human. :II: Nature. album overall. Well, the first part. The second disc isn't bad at all for an instrumental track, but it's not particularly mind-blowing either. I don't listen to it that much, but when I do, I find it... pleasant? I don't actively want to get back to it, but I don't mind it either if it just... comes up.

But yeah, as far as the first part of the album goes, I really like it. A bit like Hell on Earth on Senjutsu, it's very intriguing mix of very basic, familiar things from the playbook of the band in question, but somehow more subtle, delicate and touching with it's emotional associations. Shoemaker, The Harvest, Procession, Endlessness... I love those tracks. :blush:

Live performance of Endlessness would've been epic! Oh well, as much as I miss Marko in Nightwish, I very much enjoyed his solo gig in April and it was great to see him being so relaxed on stage, while also delivering an amazing vocal performance. Whether in Finnish or in English, his onstage chats aren't his strongest suit though... heh.

Last edited:
I'll put this here as well - one beautiful day after Tuomas stops sulking and gets de-burnt-out and reinvigorated gets back together all three vocalists, to crack the internet in half and to earn sacrilegiously ridiculous amount of money, what should be the ultimate setlist (including vocal distribution)?

They certainly have different strengths and weaknesses, that's why I still hope there's going to be a reunion with all three vocalists one day à la Helloween.
I spent about 5 minutes on this during my lunch break, so don't judge it too harshly, but I would love seeing this live:

She Is My Sin (Tarja)
Noise (Floor)
Dead to the World (Tarja + Floor)
The Poet and the Pendulum (Anette)
Amaranth (Anette)
Planet Hell (Floor on Marco vocals, Tarja on hers)
Sacrament of Wilderness/Crownless (Tarja)
Nemo (Tarja)
The Islander (Floor on Marco vocals, Anette doing the backing ones)
I Want My Tears Back (Floor + Anette)
Élan/Alpenglow (Floor)
The Last Ride of the Day (Anette)
Beauty and the Beast (Tarja)
Ghost Love Score (Floor)

Dark Chest of Wonders (Tarja and Floor)*
Bless the Child (Tarja and Anette)
Wishmaster (all three)

* P.S.
It would be ridiculously funny if they played Dark Chest with Tarja and Floor as a medley with Shudder Before the Beautiful. It would also be this self-aimed humour that would immediately endear Tuomas to me thousandfold.

Last edited:
I'll put this here as well - one beautiful day after Tuomas stops sulking and gets de-burnt-out and reinvigorated gets back together all three vocalists, to crack the internet in half and to earn sacrilegiously ridiculous amount of money, what should be the ultimate setlist (including vocal distribution)?
OH man, this would be epic, I haven't listened to much Nightwish lately, but They're one of my brother's favorite bands. I'll run this by him see what his two cents are. To give you an idea, I haven't listened to ANY albums/concets with Floor. The last Nightwish album I purhcased/listened to was Imaginarium.

Wasn't Tuomas kind of a dick to the previous two singers? Besides, I like Floor the best of the three and don't feel that attached to the other vocailsts. I would much rather see Marco come back.

Wasn't Tuomas kind of a dick to the previous two singers? Besides, I like Floor the best of the three and don't feel that attached to the other vocailsts. I would much rather see Marco come back.
If Helloween can patch things up and tour with essentially three singers, so can Nightwish, it's just a matter of them being willing to talk it out.

Marco is burnt out and Anette will never handle touring for four weeks again. Floor is doing good, just hope she won’t be ill again. Maybe they will ask Tarja to return in a few years time, right around their 30 years anniversary. Jukka could also return then, if he can handle jetlags again.

Me personally don’t miss Tarja, she has been gone for almost 20 years. Marco however…he was such an important member.

I suppose I should put this in the Now Playing thread, but...

with this cover sounding so much like You Give Love a Bad Name, I actually feel like if Tarja came back for a reunion just to record a bonus album full of Bon Jovi covers, I would go and pay my hard earned money for that. Yes, I'm that insane.

Fun fact - I don't collect bootlegs and I dislike the general community attitude towards that - you know, the secrecy, the self-importance, the insanity... well, for someone who doesn't collect bootlegs, I was kinda surprised when I found out I have about 90 Nightwish audio bootlegs on my harddisk (and about 20-30 video ones). I think it started with me wanting to have some more stuff from the very early years besides From Wishes to Eternity and then... it... kinda grew, I guess.

(on a side note, since I've been listening to some of the 99 bootlegs today: Man, I miss Emppu as a guitarist. The early years, he had such wonderful moments.)

Last edited:
Back