Nightwish

39871-NPH-highest-of-fives-BIeL.gif

I forgot about this. I wonder if this is the parcel that is apparently on its way to me? It's either Nightwish or Katatonia's new live DVD, but I don't know which, so I'm not about the buy the new Nightwish album in case I've already paid for it.

Edit: Endless Forms isn't out yet....not here at least

Last edited:
I didn't love the last song, but the rest of the album is fantastic. The last song feels like someone in Nightwish said, "We need our version of 2112."

I am not a big fan of the opener (apart from the solos and the end), and the single wasn't that excellent either, so my expectations were rather low. But this album is very good!

Four things have struck me, after just one listening session:

1. There are several mid tempo songs (I didn't count it but it feels as a bigger amount than usual), with tremendously captivating hooks.
2. Floor hardly used operatic vocals. Only in the beginning of The Greatest Show on Earth. I just read in an interview with Tuomas, in a part where he talks about that style of vocals, that it isn't just a matter of doing things because they can be done. It's more about doing what the song needs. Apparently, only that last song had a moment where he felt such vocals served the song.
3. Melodic guitar riffs / lines are prominent (again). At times, I really was taken back to the first two albums. So, the Stratovarious influenced style has returned to a certain extent.
4. Emppu shows some very sensitive guitar playing. I distinctly remember a passage where he did his thing with such a feel. I am very happy with his role in the band, and glad that he was given room to contribute to significant moments in songs. Of course his rhythm work is already very present, but now he gets more spots where he is the prime instrument, e.g. in calmer pauses, or where bombast takes a break and then he carries the thing to the next phase.

Short summary:
Outstanding melodies. Some of the best they ever did.

Last edited:
2. Floor hardly used operatic vocals. Only in the beginning of The Greatest Show on Earth. I just read in an interview with Tuomas, in a part where he talks about that style of vocals, that it isn't just a matter of doing things because they can be done. It's more about doing what the song needs. Apparently, only that last song had a moment where he felt such vocals served the song.
3. Melodic guitar riffs / lines are prominent (again). At times, I really was taken back to the first two albums. So, the Stratovarious influenced style has returned to a certain extent.
4. Emppu shows some very sensitive guitar playing. I distinctly remember a passage where he did his thing with such a feel. I am very happy with his role in the band, and glad that he was given room to contribute to significant moments in songs. Of course his rhythm work is already very present, but now he gets more spots where he is the prime instrument, e.g. in calmer pauses, or where bombast takes a break and then he carries the thing to the next phase.

It seems like Tuomas has simply moved away from writing operatic vocals into his music. At first, this may have been due to the shift in vocalist when Tarja left, but there are evidences of this on Once as well. I would have liked to hear a little more opera from Floor, but if it doesn't fit the music Tuomas has written then I completely understand.

Emppu's guitar really stands out on this album and I couldn't be happier. I was just listening to Oceanborn and realized how much guitar there was on some of those older songs, from melodic lines to solos to complicated, almost proggy riffs. It's great to hear more guitar in the music again and I sincerely hope we get even more next time!

The only thing that I find extremely disappointing on this record is the incredible lack of Marco's vocals. I have come to really enjoy his voice and his vocal contributions to the band. I get the sense that he was singing more while Anette was in the band because her voice simply wasn't as strong as Tarja's. Now that Floor is there, he can lay back and let her take the reins. Also, it's the first album with a new singer and they want to showcase her style and range. All said, I still wish we had at least one song that was primarily sung by Marco.

Well consider me hyped guys. Can't wait to hear this!

Btw. I made my own edited version of The Greatest Show On Earth that omits 1st, 4th and 5th part of the song and keeps parts 2 and 3 and I got an awesome 10:47 song :)

WOW. I did not know that Tarot existed...how the hell does Marco have time to do that? His vocals sound very different on these songs, though. Maybe it's just the compositions (i.e. no Tuomas).

Also, I want to hear your edit!

He doesn't really have time to do it lately, they only did 3 albums since he joined Nightwish :) And yeah, Tarot is more of a riffy heavy/power metal band with less keyboards so he sings differently in it. They were formed in mid 80's and changed their sound a couple of times.

Also here's the edit (disguised to avoid deletion - Life is Part 2 of the song and Toolmaker is Part 3):

I love it! I can definitely see them playing that exact portion on the upcoming tour, and adding some crowd work during the quiet parts.

WOW. I did not know that Tarot existed...how the hell does Marco have time to do that?
Can't believe that you haven't researched people who are in a band that you like so much, especially when you really like to hear more of him singing!
Tarot is around since the early eighties. They made five studio albums before Marco joined Nightwish and no less than four since he joined. The fifth is coming out this year.

Wings of Darkness could be their most famous song. It came out on their debut album and this is a humorous video clip from many years later. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Seriously, where are you all getting this album? I can't get it anywhere, everywhere I try just says 'expected March 30'?

That would explain it. I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow and hope it appears as 'expected'. It's blocked on Youtube and everywhere for me at the moment.

Finally got hold of the album and listening now. I think it has a slightly underwhelming start, but as it's progressed, several songs have jumped out. Bit more of a folky feel in places, without the pipes becoming too much of a gimmick.

Back