Nightwish

I'm cool with hearing new songs, but I wish they'd cut
My Walden, Amaranth, Storytime, and I Want My Tears Back.

They could replace them with the first four tracks from Century Child (especially Dead to the World) and I'd be a happy camper.

EDIT: Not sure how people feel about spoilers.

I'd replace Amaranth with Wishmaster, My Walden with Bless The Child, Islander with The Phantom Of The Opera and Last Ride Of The Day with The Beauty Of The Beast. That'd balance the setlist a bit more with new material (which is, of course, fine, but there's too much of it).

I'd replace Amaranth with Wishmaster, My Walden with Bless The Child, Islander with The Phantom Of The Opera and Last Ride Of The Day with The Beauty Of The Beast. That'd balance the setlist a bit more with new material (which is, of course, fine, but there's too much of it).

Wishmaster, Bless the Child, and OMG Beauty of the Beast would be incredible. But I love The Islander and it gives the band a nice little acoustic piece in the middle and gives Floor a break. Considering how little Marco sings on the new album, I'm glad he still has one song in the set where he sings lead.

Alpenglow also falls down now. The beginning sounded cool at first but the rest -esp. the chorus- is meh and the song features literal parts taken from Ghost Love Score. As you might know I do not appreciate recycling, especially when it gets blatantly obvious. Also the solo (chord scheme) is terribly unimaginative.

Compare if you like: Ghost Love Score:
@5.34

Alpenglow: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2k04ee
The end is most clear @4.38 but also the main riff is derived from that part.

I think the one at the end is unproblematic. It's a short snippet that can be seen just as a nod to the song it is taken from. However, the main riff (which, as you state, is very similar to that part of Ghost Love Score) is used throughout the song, which makes it worse.

The beginning of Weak Fantasy sounds like what modern Symphony X should sound like.

But with an atypical time change ending (like 1/4 or 13/4) every time the riff repeats twice and a 3 second neoclassical guitar lead right before the orchestra kicks in.

They've switched out Nemo with Ever Dream on the last two shows. I'm very excited, as I love Ever Dream, but I'd rather they play both songs and cut something like My Walden or Tears.

Ever Dream would be great if we get that later this year. Like you say, though, it would be nice if they kept another classic.

And NOW they've switched out Ever Dream for Dark Chest of Wonders...again, I'd love to hear Dark Chest, but not if it means no Ever Dream and no Nemo. Ditch the Imaginaerum songs already!

They should do like Mastodon. Mastodon starts a new album tour by playing almost all songs from the new album, then on the tour for the next album they only play 1 or 2 from the previous one.

Absolutely. I understand that they want to keep the new albums in rotation, but they just toured on that album two years ago and played nearly every song in concert. Keep one of the singles, ditch everything else. You have a new singer, a new album - play new stuff and classics to show off the new girl's pipes.

No need for Imaginaerum - The Score in the Survivor, right? There's like one song with vocals and the rest is just too random to form a real album.

Definitely no need. Pretty sure the song that's on there is just a weird version of The Crow, The Owl, and the Whatever from Imaginaerum itself.

Pretty shit setlists lately.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nightwish/2015/ratinan-stadion-tampere-finland-33f668e9.html

I don't think any of these songs are exactly bad, it's just that the setlist is highly unbalanced. Just way too much stuff from the new album, no matter how much I like it. Nothing from their best album (Century Child). Horrible DPP song choices too. I'd still go see them, but I wish they'd do a best off kinda tour with a better setlist.

That's pretty much the setlist I got in SLC back in April. It was actually pretty cool, but I also like the new album quite a bit. The lack of Century Child is surely quite lame, though.

It is, it's just not "more than 1/2 of the setlist" good :p Plus we haven't even gotten to it in the Survivor :p Right now, I'd rank it as my 2nd favorite Nightwish album :)

Back