Nightwish

10285383_831113730278026_7882991844571729145_o.jpg

Who's playing the pipe on this photo? Check Floor's right hand and the face of the second man from the left. :D

Last edited:
Awesome song! Still no vocal acrobatics from Floor though, but there are two guitar solos :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: And also no flute or whatever that new guy's playing.

Music is great here, but I'm not crazy about the vocal melodies. It'll be a grower, I'm sure. Great to hear more guitar! Also, that keyboard solo is wicked.

That was a surprise. Yes to the guitar and keyboard solos and whole dramatic second half. I'm glad they're not overdoing the pipes in everything. The first half was a touch uninspiring, though.

I'm sorry, but after a listen I can honestly say that her singing on the album sounds quite boring and uninspired to me. But that's just my opinion and I'm glad if others on here enjoy it more. :)

I think her singing sounds great on the album, but I definitely think it will take a couple of years before Tuomas knows how to write best for her vocal range. A lot of the melodies on the album are quite low. Floor sings them wonderfully, but it sounds like Tuomas is still transitioning after spending the last ten years writing for Anette. Floor uses a lot of color on the album: low/high/soft/loud/screams/guttural/shouts/operatics...but they are VERY subtle and sparse. She does, however, use blue notes for the first time ever in Nightwish, and for that I am forever grateful.

Sidenote: I absolutely love the album.

When does the album actually come out? The buildup has been going on for an eternity.

Still no high quality rips of this so not listening yet. Also not listening to so far leaked songs anymore until I get the real thing. Will also write a review here :D

Shudder Before The Beautiful
Nothing new to add about this one, awesome song.

Weak Fantasy
Surprisingly prominent guitars... which is obviously a big plus. Very interesting song, I love the acoustic guitar parts during the verses... maybe the new old guy is playing them? And the keyboards are fucking amazing during the whole song. Or more accurately keyboards/orchestra. Anyway, they are especially awesome during the bridge. Also, this whole song is fucking amazing.

Élan
Same as Shudder. Typical "first single" song, but still pretty awesome. And the last chorus is... wow.

Yours Is An Empty Hope
Final leaked song and I'll repeat myself by saying how awesome it is. Floor is killing it on this song, especially during the verses where she makes me forget both singers before her.

Our Decades In The Sun
Floor killing it again, she's just amazing. Also some nice guitar work again... they are really upping their game on them on this album. Kinda weird that Nightwish has prominent guitars on their new album than Blind Guardian...

My Walden
Not really liking this one, even though I like the bagpipes, the song is kinda too cheery... Floor is awesome again though.
Okay it gets a bit better in the 2nd half of the song, some nice Celtic melodies.

Endless Forms Most Beautiful
Quite an intense song, some nice guitar/keyboard riffs, Floor killing it (duuuuuh).

Edema Ruh
Wow, another guitar solo?! And a pretty awesome one at that. Also the song is quite fun and catchy. I think the old man is singing that part near the end. He has a chill voice, I like it.

Alpenglow
That pre-chorus was so surprising, Floor has such an amazing range. I think this song can easily be the 2nd single of this album, it's amazing in every possible way.

The Eyes Of Sharbat Gula
This is Sharbat Gula. I kinda expected more than an instrumental/ambiental piece from this song... so meh.

The Greatest Show On Earth
I was kinda apprehensive about this song since I don't really like super long songs... And it takes so long to actually start... Those first 5 or so minutes could've all been cut if you ask me. But when it does start... wow. Verses are so dark and awesome. But then the ending also kinda drags. I can't say how good it is compared to their other songs, because you can't really judge a 24 minute song in one listening. But yeah, it's definitely awesome.
I might make an edited version for myself that cuts out the beginning and the ending and see how long it is then.

Your review is, literally, the exact same as mine. Song for song, moment for moment, we have literally the EXACT same opinion of this album.

Back