Nights of the Dead, Legacy of the Beast: Live in Mexico City (new live album)

I think the ride cymbal especially sounds thin. Thinly produced. I am not a fan of the snare drum sound, (weird tone).
And although I haven't compared well, I feel the tempo sounds lower than the studio version. I also wonder why they did not select a gig on which Bruce was in great form (some from 2018) but to be honest, I have only heard one song. I don't know how well Bruce sings on the whole gig.
Still, that is the band's decision and I'll try not to be too bothered by this. I'll try to focus on the different guitars, I've always liked that aspect since day one. If I want a perfect sounding live album, I'll just play Live After Death. If I want to hear an album with a great sounding Bruce, I'll play Rock in Rio, if I want to hear a great playing Nicko, I'll play either of those. If I want to hear the Maiden of today on a random (maybe not their best) day, I'll play this CD or better, go to a concert in 2021.

Last edited:
Thought: Could this be a rush-release conceived after the tour cancellation so they would at least have something out in 2020?
Take away the "could be" and replace with "is":
When the final leg of our 2020 Legacy tour this summer had to be cancelled due to the COVID pandemic, the whole band was very disappointed and deflated and we know our fans felt the same. We’d been really looking forward to bringing the show to even more countries and although we’ve been able to reschedule most of our European own-shows for 2021, we thought we’d take a listen to the recordings from the tour so far and see if we could create a definitive live album souvenir that everyone, everywhere could enjoy.
Steve's words on the website.

I think he does sound a little strained in places but he’s over 60 and they are still playing the song in the original key. I’ll give him a break on that one.
I agree.
I find it exhausting listening to him sometimes - mainly on recorded performances. In a live setting I don’t mind as much.

Amazon Music streams at 256 kbps AAC. There's not much grit, and the drums sound extremely precise.

Can you compare Amazon to Youtube, Aces High? Same or Amazon sounds better?

Finally got a chance to listen to the Aces High release from the album. And yeah, this might be some of the band’s worst production ever. Everything is spread out and too “balanced” for its own good. When I saw Maiden live they sounded heavy as hell and had a lot more power and punch than whatever this lifeless recording holds. Bruce sounds great though and I’m still excited for the album; I just hope like the rest that the final product sounds better, at least on CD.

Thought: Could this be a rush-release conceived after the tour cancellation so they would at least have something out in 2020?
No, I thought at the time the "Day of the Dead" beer was out it had to have had some significance, hoping for it to be a new song/album title:lol:, but it's clear now that at the time they were regarding those Mexico gigs as something special reusing the theme for the live album. So I feel they had that in mind even when playing the Mexico gigs.

Can you compare Amazon to Youtube, Aces High? Same or Amazon sounds better?

The links Meliegree posted to all the streaming services have the same sound, including the youtube version linked from meliegree's list, all better than the youtube link that people found on youtube. Or at least a good bit louder anyway:lol:

EDIT: I downloaded it on itunes and the quality is 256kbps

Last edited:
I don’t think this live album was a reaction to not touring, more like a happy accident. So much of what Maiden does is planned and they had to know this show would be recorded and they wanted a Central American concert. Otherwise, why not just release the offices recordings they’d already made, like the videos to Flight of Icarus and Run to the Hills.

So much of what Maiden does is planned
I can't help thinking there are a lot of beermats kicking around with little ideas scribbled on the back. Someone picks one up every now and then, Rod says: "What's the cheapest one?" and that's the planning process.

I don’t think this live album was a reaction to not touring, more like a happy accident. So much of what Maiden does is planned and they had to know this show would be recorded and they wanted a Central American concert. Otherwise, why not just release the offices recordings they’d already made, like the videos to Flight of Icarus and Run to the Hills.

Isn't every show recorded these days?

Reactions: Yax
Back