Nights of the Dead, Legacy of the Beast: Live in Mexico City (new live album)

I agree.
I find it exhausting listening to him sometimes - mainly on recorded performances. In a live setting I don’t mind as much.
Sometimes I cringe but I take my hat off to him. I teach music in 4 primary schools and my voice is shot after 1 week of teaching and singing with the kids! I can’t imagine what a tour must be like on a 60+ voice.

Sometimes I cringe but I take my hat off to him. I teach music in 4 primary schools and my voice is shot after 1 week of teaching and singing with the kids! I can’t imagine what a tour must be like on a 60+ voice.
I do too. I wish they'd give him a break and de-tune the older material he struggles on. There's no shame in doing that for a cancer survivor in his sixties.

Thought: Could this be a rush-release conceived after the tour cancellation so they would at least have something out in 2020?
On Instagram and Twitter yesterday they showed an image from their tour calendar, showing the Mexico Legacy tour art for the month of October, saying "they play the long game at Maiden towers," indicating this album had been planned to be announced this October before the calendar was even made. Could be true, could be a happy coincidence.

And by the way, that artwork would have been PERFECT for this release, as it better represents the Mexico theme as well as the Legacy theme, rather than the tweaked Legacy Trooper Eddie art they went with.

Not sure why everyone shits on the artwork. Sure, it's not the best they ever had, but it's not that bad.
And that's true. It's not bad, it's just a bit lazy is all by more or less recycling the tour promo art. Same deal with Live Chapter, which was lazy to an even greater extent. Good art, but it was tour promo art to begin with.

I suppose we're just spoiled, as we've come to expect something brand new for each live album cover. But then I'm also contradicting myself, because I would've loved to have the Mexico tour art with the Puppeteer Eddie instead of the Legacy Trooper/Mexico-redux Eddie for Nights of the Dead, so I guess I just can't be pleased either way, hehe.

I don’t think this live album was a reaction to not touring, more like a happy accident. So much of what Maiden does is planned and they had to know this show would be recorded and they wanted a Central American concert. Otherwise, why not just release the offices recordings they’d already made, like the videos to Flight of Icarus and Run to the Hills.

Mexico is a country in North America. :)

Does anybody think that Bruce sounds strained on Aces High or is it just me?
Yeah, he's definitely way out of his comfort zone on Aces High here. The production being so dry does him absolutely no favors - no reverb or what have you here, just the vocals as they came on the board pretty much.

Aces High probably was one of his worst moments on the show in 2018 so it follows that it's not too hot on the live album either, but God damn does it make me wish they'd just swallow their pride and tune down so that Bruce could use his voice properly rather than having to strain to hit the notes. Can't fault him for trying, but as said earlier, he's a man in his sixties and a cancer survivor. It's perfectly fine to tune down to accommodate that.

And that's true. It's not bad, it's just a bit lazy is all by more or less recycling the tour promo art. Same deal with Live Chapter, which was lazy to an even greater extent. Good art, but it was tour promo art to begin with.

I suppose we're just spoiled, as we've come to expect something brand new for each live album cover. But then I'm also contradicting myself, because I would've loved to have the Mexico tour art with the Puppeteer Eddie instead of the Legacy Trooper/Mexico-redux Eddie for Nights of the Dead, so I guess I just can't be pleased either way, hehe.

Well, this. While I'm ok with the artwork (I thought that the 2020 tour poster looks like a potential live release cover anyway), I think it's just a tad bit too lazy to basically photoshop existing piece of artwork into something it wasn't designed for. The poster itself is neat collage of The LOTB stuff - with The Trooper Eddie being the centerpiece there. Now, they've added even more stuff to already busy artwork and while the Eddie-edit looks ok, I don't think it's very tasteful either. :D It's like instead of event shirts artworks they just photoshopped some country-specific references into tour poster and that's it.

But yeah, it works. Just a bit cheap.

Last edited:
I’m glad this album will come out, as I never was able to catch their show on this tour. Just hope there will be a video release as well, not fan of watching Youtube with all those ads coming between videoes..

I rather do not see a them tuning down songs. Lame. New songs in lower tune: fine.
If you really wish to see Bruce in more comfortable conditions, then why not ask Maiden to change setlist instead.
I myself would like them to tune down half a step. At that point it'll just sound a tad heavier and Bruce would sound better. A full step is completely out of the question though.

Yeah, he's definitely way out of his comfort zone on Aces High here. The production being so dry does him absolutely no favors - no reverb or what have you here, just the vocals as they came on the board pretty much.
There's both reverb, delay and a pitch shift stereo widener. But they try to not make it obvious.

Last edited:
Definietly this YT clip doesn't sound good, but it's just a sample. I must wait to hear the final result from cd. Do you remember first version of El Dorado single? Promo version streamed by the band sounded terrible too.
Every studio version of El Dorado sounds bad.

^ the picture disc is distorted in a nice way, the guitars have more power and the bass is way more clear

It's not bad, it's just a bit lazy is all by more or less recycling the tour promo art. Same deal with Live Chapter, which was lazy to an even greater extent. Good art, but it was tour promo art to begin with.

^This.

The official 2020 tour poster (which looked like a potential cover for a live album and it is reused for this new live album cover) is great though.

Back