Nicko McBrain

Lots of Nicko interviews popping up in these Corona times. In this one (I haven't seen it all yet) he seems to go more in depth into the recording process.

This is in depth as well.
(copied from YouTube info:
• Overcoming Drug Addiction • Passion For Pursuing Your Dreams • Crazy Rock Star Stories • Giving Back To the Less Fortunate • Leaving a Legacy

No news. Basically the whole video is Nicko telling long stories and talking about their drumsets. The video is just about Nicko and his career as drummer. He talked about his beginnings, when he was drummer in the Pat Traver's band, their drum sets.

Talking about the gongs he told that the Dance of Death's gong was stolen and that if someone see it on eBay inform the police. At the end of the interview he tells a story about he knew Buddy Rich in New York in 1996 I think. I don't know how the story ends because the guy is sat with their laptop on his knees and he was moving it all the time and there was a lot of noises and that irritated me so much that I stopped to watch it there.

It is a real shame that Vinnie and Carmine didn't talk at all. Just they were there to laugh Nicko's jokes and stories. I would have liked to hear them to tell some own stories or something about drums… I think Vinnie told when Nicko were invited by Dio to play Rainbow in the Dark and he played it too much faster than the original. That's all Vinnie talked.

Carmine is actually talking every now and then, shares a story, but it does look a bit weird. All three of them are brilliant drummers with big careers.

Carmine is actually talking every now and then, shares a story, but it does look a bit weird. All three of them are brilliant drummers with big careers.
Yeah I agreed.
I noticed that the title of the video was Artists in Lockdown - Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden. Maybe Ron the presenter could make 2 other videos with Vinnie and Carmine with Nicko as a guest.

No news. Basically the whole video is Nicko telling long stories and talking about their drumsets. The video is just about Nicko and his career as drummer. He talked about his beginnings, when he was drummer in the Pat Traver's band, their drum sets.

Talking about the gongs he told that the Dance of Death's gong was stolen and that if someone see it on eBay inform the police. At the end of the interview he tells a story about he knew Buddy Rich in New York in 1996 I think. I don't know how the story ends because the guy is sat with their laptop on his knees and he was moving it all the time and there was a lot of noises and that irritated me so much that I stopped to watch it there.

It is a real shame that Vinnie and Carmine didn't talk at all. Just they were there to laugh Nicko's jokes and stories. I would have liked to hear them to tell some own stories or something about drums… I think Vinnie told when Nicko were invited by Dio to play Rainbow in the Dark and he played it too much faster than the original. That's all Vinnie talked.

Thanks!

Another interview from Nicko coming next sunday, with Aquiles Priester. I'm brazilian so I've watched some of Aquiles' interviews over the last few months and he usually asks questions sent from people who donate on YouTube superchat, so maybe that'll be a good chance to ask something to Nicko.

Aquiles is a great drummer. Hope for some curious questions. Besides, if there's one member from Maiden who can reveal something about the new album, it's Nicko. :lol:

Here the interview (I'm watching it now but the length is about 3h) 2h 15 min with Nicko the rest is a discuss between Priester and the other drummer Gilson Napolini commenting the interview. I didn't understand the portuguese so I quitted.
the Where eagles dare question is there at 30 min approx
The 2nd hour is more interesting. He is asked about why they dropped Loneliness of the Long distance runner from somewhere on tour after the first gig. He just said that they thought it didn't work on stage like Alexander the Great (he says that they played 3 or 4 times on the tour) they dropped because the tempo and the guitars didn't synchronize well on stage. Maybe they rehearsed it on stage but didn't work. They didn't rehearsed too much in my opinion. I think the set list on that tour had a lot of long songs and include one more it wasn't a good idea.
Interesting that when Bruce decided to leave in 1993 they didn't share the same dressing room.
Anybody asked him about the new album. I think Rod could control Nicko's laptop remote and could push the 'failed internet connection' button

Last edited:
Nicko again saying that they actually played Alex at a few shows in the beginning of Somewhere on Tour and then dropped it. Bloke is getting old :D

Anyway it has been an interesting interview. At least it hasn't been the same questions as always (except the where eagles dare one) and he has been open to answer whatever.

I really appreciate him these kind interviews because at least he's the only one from the band he is talking in these difficult times we're living and I think he really enjoys talking about his career and all the drums stuff.

Back