Nicko McBrain

Interesting interview. Nicko and Adrian have been basically the only guys who have been interact directly or not with the fans trough all this time. I really appreciate that.

In brief he has talked about:
  • He's going to make some drum videos
  • The early years as a drummer and when he turned to a pro drummer
  • He's writing a memoirs book. He says that he's going to tell the story when he turned the Maiden drummer, how he met Clive, how he met Steve and Maiden in '79.
  • He talked about his drum shop and the new mark of drums that he uses, the manufacturing of the drums, the wood, the sound of the woods… very interesting.
  • The most interesting thing he talked is that he thought about how the band would sound with someone else in the drums… the chemistry that he has with the rest of the band and viceversa on stage and the fingerprint of drumming he has developed trough his career. He says that "there ain't no one can replace me…it's not possible".

But Joe Lazarus never said a word about replace Nicko or anybody. It was a rumor. But I think Nicko is saying that anybody can replace his blueprint, the way that he drumming. You can place the best drummer in the world technically but he won't play like Nicko in terms of textures, that kind of touches that he makes unique. He says that the rest members of the band knows all of that things, know the textures, certain touches, his personality and the chemistry there is between them can't be replaced. I think that he means that. And I think it was Bruce that he said that once one member of the band retires, the rest will do the same or something like that.

nickomcbrainrockcampnov2021.jpg

Hi boys and girls…it's Nicko's here…Do you want to see me how to play Where Eagles Dare intro? This camp is for you!!!
See more here

View attachment 14643

Hi boys and girls…it's Nicko's here…Do you want to see me how to play Where Eagles Dare intro? This camp is for you!!!
See more here

snGUzV-T184X1V0Nlp3TD1d5xn8=.gif

But it is a HUGE change. He was more modest about himself before, in fact he heavily disagreed with the idea.
Modest yes. But this is simply a statement of fact - he's not claiming to be irreplaceable because he's better than everyone else (although I think most would agree he's extremely good), he's irreplaceable because he's unique and his rapport with Steve is unique. Perhaps he's simply accepting the inevitable now, instead of side-stepping the issue, or maybe this is just the first time he's felt brave enough to say it.

I've been saying this for a long time.
All guitarists are replaceable. Steve, Nicko, and Bruce are not. We've reached that point about 10 years ago.

I've been saying this for a long time.
All guitarists are replaceable. Steve, Nicko, and Bruce are not. We've reached that point about 10 years ago.
I don't think anyone is replaceable at this stage. If they bring in a new member now, after all this time with no changes, that's a step change. I'm not saying it wouldn't work necessarily, but it would be a different band.

Modest yes. But this is simply a statement of fact - he's not claiming to be irreplaceable because he's better than everyone else (although I think most would agree he's extremely good), he's irreplaceable because he's unique and his rapport with Steve is unique. Perhaps he's simply accepting the inevitable now, instead of side-stepping the issue, or maybe this is just the first time he's felt brave enough to say it.
Yes, but my main issue is -whatever the reason-, it is a big turn. I'm surprised and it makes me more distrustful than before.

All guitarists are replaceable.
I can't imagine the Maiden sound without Dave.

On a side note, I always wanted Dave to write a song and play as a special guest in a solo album of Bruce ...(Nicko too). It's curious what the song would be - something close to the Maiden style? FOTD album was the last time when only Bruce and Dave wrote a song together.

Play and write for a solo album of Bruce - Janick (yes), Adrian (yes)... it's time for Dave to complete the Three Amigos :D

Perhaps the band has recently decided they'll call it quits after the next album, "so Nicko, please change that story".

I can't imagine the Maiden sound without Dave.
Good because neither can the rest of the band. No Dave = no Maiden, simple as.
On a side note, I always wanted Dave to write a song and play as a special guest in a solo album of Bruce ...(Nicko too). It's curious what the song would be - something close to the Maiden style? FOTD album was the last time when only Bruce and Dave wrote a song together.
Maybe that's why it doesn't happen - when Bruce does solo stuff he wants it to sound different from Maiden. Bring Dave on board and that's scuppered straight away ...

Perhaps the band has recently decided they'll call it quits after the next album, "so Nicko, please change that story".
Maybe, or perhaps they are all just fed up of getting asked the question. But if for whatever reason they didn't want to do it any more then I'd much rather they just stopped than carry on for the sake of it and join the cabaret circuit :S

Back