New Single - The Writing on the Wall

Gotta watch out for Stanger Danger. That’s when your captured in a black van and forced to listen to Metallica.

Guitars much more upfront
I'm happy they improved that. Also, I really like that the sound (of the whole production) is more clear than in TBOS.

I don't have a problem with Maiden's ''live sound'' in the studio (especially if it's done like in BNW album). I like the sound of all reunion albums and I really like that the production is different in every album.

Last edited:
Anyone else feel like the vocal performance is better than on TBOS? Or it may be better processed. It doesn't have that sharp, slightly annoying top end strained sound as in for example the Speed of Shite chorus.

It appears as though the reverb (and delay?) on the vocals this time around really aid the overall presentation. None of those bone dry vocals as on TBOS. It makes me hopeful for the rest of the record, as one of my main complaints about TBOS were painful vocals in SOL, EOTC, TGU etc.

Anyone else feel like the vocal performance is better than on TBOS? Or it may be better processed. It doesn't have that sharp, slightly annoying top end strained sound as in for example the Speed of Shite chorus.

It appears as though the reverb (and delay?) on the vocals this time around really aid the overall presentation. None of those bone dry vocals as on TBOS. It makes me hopeful for the rest of the record, as one of my main complaints about TBOS were painful vocals in SOL, EOTC, TGU etc.
I don’t know about processing, but Bruce’s higher register seems a lot clearer than on BoS to me. I’m very curious to see how he sounds on the whole album.

I've noticed something:

Two words of the title in the new single cover are written with bigger letters than the other two (Writing and Wall) - this was done before only in A Real Live Dead One cover, IIRC.

I don't know why, but the second verses of TWOTW (from Hollywood to babylone...) remind me somehow of Metallica's Turn The page second verses (All the same old cliches...).

Single indeed is a grower. I like it. Especially it's major mood. It is not depressing. High hopes for the album.

This single is growing on me more and more. I loved it from first listen, but it's definitely not a barn-burner. That said, this song get stuck in your head. The guitar work is sublime and you can really hear all three guitars crystal clear. There's so much space in the mix. And again, Bruce sounds a lot closer to how he sang in 2006-2008. His high end is so sharp and confident. He's like a sharp cheddar that knows he can have all the sharp cheddar ladies in the room. A confident sort of cheese.

After really thinking about it, I decided the only 2 singles I like better than this one are Aces High of which the verses have my most singing performance out of every song I've ever heard by every band of all time. The other is Empire Of The Clouds which I don't know how much I count as a single since it was release only on vinyl on record store day. Songs I like equal to this are Wasting Love, Out Of The Silent Planet, Hallowed Be Thy Name(released as a live single), and Fear Of The Dark(released as a live single). Everything other single I like less than this one. Some not by too much though.

Instrumental version of TWOTW:

You can hear the guitar licks under the chorus better.

Edit: in the outro sounds like Janick is playing all the little melodies... we will find out for sure when they play the song live.

Last edited:
Back