New posters! Who are you?

Wow are canals all over Netherlands?  Is it because it is generally sitting at sea level?  I thought the canals were pretty neat in Amsterdam, and now I am wondering if there are the same logistical problems with maintaining them as they are having in Venice.  (That might not have been the clearest sentence.) 

I really love history, so I think it's pretty awesome that your city has changed so little!  It would be cool to actually go back in time.  --Barring that possibility though, :) it's so great to see things as they were then.  It sounds like that would make a really wonderful, or maybe several wonderful walks. Delft kind of rings a bell -- I should probably google this -- but was there a brand of famous china or porcelain that is from there?

jmpoet said:
Wow are canals all over Netherlands?  Is it because it is generally sitting at sea level?  I thought the canals were pretty neat in Amsterdam, and now I am wondering if there are the same logistical problems with maintaining them as they are having in Venice.  (That might not have been the clearest sentence.) 

A part of our country is indeed under sea level but we have a long history of dealing with water. There's indeed many more cities with canals, but Amsterdam's city plan is quite different from the others. It's very big. More than one hundred kilometres of canals, about 90 islands and 1,500 bridges. The three main canals, dug in the 17th century during the Dutch Golden Age, form concentric belts around the city. But a lot of other cities have their own charme as well, though that'd be too much for this topic. ;)

jmpoet said:
I really love history, so I think it's pretty awesome that your city has changed so little!  It would be cool to actually go back in time.  --Barring that possibility though, :) it's so great to see things as they were then.  It sounds like that would make a really wonderful, or maybe several wonderful walks.

Hehe, I also think that sometimes. When I am in an old city I often prefer to take photos, trying to exclude the contemtemporary things, and peope.

jmpoet said:
Delft kind of rings a bell -- I should probably google this -- but was there a brand of famous china or porcelain that is from there?

That's correct, Delft Blue pottery! These names are also from Delft:
Johannes Vermeer
Hugo Grotius (1583-1645), the lawyer who laid the foundations for international law
Antonie van Leeuwenhoek (1632-1723), father of microbiology and developer of the microscope

And in these days the city is often in the picture when members of the Royal Family die. In the last 10 years, 3 members (both parents of our Queen plus her husband) were set into the burial vault, under the New Church.

Under this stone...

250px-Grafwillemvanoranje.jpg

...is the vault (only opened when another burial ceremony takes place):

300px-Grafkelders_in_Delft_plattegrond.jpg

And we have our own "Tower of Pisa": The Old Church leans about two meters from the vertical.. ;)

450px-Delft_Oude_Kerk.jpg

Wow that church does have a really noticeable lean!  I'd be nervous if I lived across the way  :p - on the other hand, it's probably been that way for some time?  Is it sinking because of the canal?  The Pisa tower (Torre Pendente) started settling before they'd even finished building it in the 12th century, which kind of seems like it would be a pretty humorous Monty Python-esque kind of situation - -except for the architect of the Pisa tower, who probably developed a headache that lasted for years.  I really like the photo, with the light and mist.

I'm sorry the Queen's husband has passed away --  I'm not as familiar with the Dutch royal family as I am with the British monarchy, but I'm thinking that they were also WWII generation? Are they related to the Brits? (well knowing Queen Victoria had kids and grandkids married all over the place.) (I guess I'm sort of an unusual progressive liberal if I'm a fan of royalty, but that's me.)  Isn't that interesting to be buried in a vault though?  And the church looks really impressive from the photo.  But I wonder what it's like to know where exactly you'll rest when your time comes? (Although of course I have no intention whatsoever of resting! ha!)

I didn't realize Vermeer was frm Delft!  I have seen some of his paintings during one of my trips -- pretty cool to see them for real and not in a textbook.  I was surprised how delicate they seemed.  Not because they were old, but just the way he painted, I guess, the way he painted light.  Ah, right!! it was pottery. I couldn't remember exactly, as I can't remember now what they used back then to make the particular shade of blue.  I'm not as familiar with the other names, but, wait though, thinking back to last message, there has been a city of Delft for over 2000 years?    I didn't realize in the last message how old it was!  Did the Romans have something to do with that?!

Amsterdam definitely has more canals than Venice!  Venice only has 378 bridges - tiny by comparison!  Stockholm is supposed to have canals too, I think?  :)  (I might be definitely off topic with this one and is that okay?) 

jmpoet said:
Wow that church does have a really noticeable lean!  I'd be nervous if I lived across the way  :p - on the other hand, it's probably been that way for some time?  Is it sinking because of the canal?

I read the following on some site:
Even during its construction, the tower was plagued by subsidence. This could be because the water in the Oude Delft (Delft's oldest street/still existing channel) had to be redirected to make way for the existing church. The tower therefore was probably built on a filled-in canal. Throughout the ages, the leaning tower has been the cause of considerable alarm to many an inhabitant. In 1843, the City Council of Delft, fearing the collapse of the tower, decided that it had to be pulled down to the level of the church roof. Local contractors were able to prevent this decision from actually being carried out.

jmpoet said:
The Pisa tower (Torre Pendente) started settling before they'd even finished building it in the 12th century, which kind of seems like it would be a pretty humorous Monty Python-esque kind of situation - -except for the architect of the Pisa tower, who probably developed a headache that lasted for years.  I really like the photo, with the light and mist.

I still have to see that Pisa tower. However, I have been to Bologna, which has several very high towers.

jmpoet said:
I'm sorry the Queen's husband has passed away --  I'm not as familiar with the Dutch royal family as I am with the British monarchy, but I'm thinking that they were also WWII generation? Are they related to the Brits? (well knowing Queen Victoria had kids and grandkids married all over the place.) (I guess I'm sort of an unusual progressive liberal if I'm a fan of royalty, but that's me.)

I don't think they are related to the Brits. The present monarchy was originally founded in 1813 when the French were driven out. Prior to the Napoleonic wars, most of the semi-independent provinces of the Netherlands had been led by stadtholders from the House of Orange-Nassau. In the not too far future Holland will have a King again, first time since 1890.

jmpoet said:
Isn't that interesting to be buried in a vault though?  And the church looks really impressive from the photo.  But I wonder what it's like to know where exactly you'll rest when your time comes? (Although of course I have no intention whatsoever of resting! ha!)

Haha, I am not sure if it's a creepy thought. It seems like a safe and wellguarded place. This vault tradition goes back til the death of William of Orange (in 1584).

jmpoet said:
I didn't realize Vermeer was frm Delft!  I have seen some of his paintings during one of my trips -- pretty cool to see them for real and not in a textbook.  I was surprised how delicate they seemed.  Not because they were old, but just the way he painted, I guess, the way he painted light.

That's what draw many painters to Delft in those days, the light. At least, that's what I heard once.

jmpoet said:
Ah, right!! it was pottery. I couldn't remember exactly, as I can't remember now what they used back then to make the particular shade of blue.  I'm not as familiar with the other names, but, wait though, thinking back to last message, there has been a city of Delft for over 2000 years?    I didn't realize in the last message how old it was!  Did the Romans have something to do with that?!

No Delft is not that old. Stuff from the Roman era has been found there but it isn't a Roman city. Delft came to existence at a "delved" waterway, called the 'Delf', and that's where its name comes from; delving, digging, 'delved', Delft.

jmpoet said:
Amsterdam definitely has more canals than Venice!  Venice only has 378 bridges - tiny by comparison!  Stockholm is supposed to have canals too, I think?   :)  (I might be definitely off topic with this one and is that okay?)

Not sure but there's a lot of waterways there, I guess. Hamburg in Germany is canal city. I just read that 
The many canals in Hamburg are crossed by over 2300 bridges, more than those of Amsterdam and Venice combined. Hamburg has more bridges inside its city limits than any other city in the world. I am not sure if it would look that interesting though. I can't judge it well, I have only been there briefly on my way to Wacken Open Air.

This has been odd today, having problems posting!  Hopefully this one will work -- Well, to return to what I was saying! 

I'm glad they never took down or lowered the tower to that church.  It certainly has its own character!  I wonder if they allow people to climb it.  I think I might have been alarmed living close by also, but I like towers generally.  It's a great place to take pictures over the rooflines.  I've climbed a church tower in Munich that was fairly old and one in St. Marks Square in Venice.  I haven't been to Bologna yet, I'd like to.  I've heard theirs is one of the oldest universities.

I suppose it would be kind of creepy in the vault itself -- I've visited New Orleans where the water table is so high, the cemetaries are by necessity all like a necropolis, I guess you could call it, filled with mausoleums, small marble houses, they sort of look like!  You could say it had a chilling kind of vibe! but it was cool at the same time.  I think if I had a choice I would choose a nice secure vault over being buried, well, out in the dirt, with no company but the worms!  On the other hand I might opt for cremation and forgo the situation with the worms altogether.  :lol:

Ah, when you mentioned HOuse of Orange, I remembered that there was briefly, a House of Orange on the British throne, so I think that's why I thought they were related.  Around 1688, Parliament was sick of James II and 'invited' his nephew, William of Orange, to invade, although it never ended up being a military battle.  James II fled and William and his wife Mary were crowned.  She died young of smallpox but I think if she had lived, they may have had children, and the Dutch and British houses may then have been related today, possibly, I suppose. 

I never realized that Hamburg was also a canal city - I guess I thought it was basically Venice and Amsterdam and that was it!  That would be interesting to see.

So is Wacken Open Air a rock/metal festival?  Europe has so many festivals-- it's pretty awesome, I think, as there aren't very many here.

jmpoet said:
I'm glad they never took down or lowered the tower to that church. It certainly has its own character!  I wonder if they allow people to climb it.

I am not sure if that one can be climbed, but the one from the New Church can be climbed. That is the one but highest (108,75 m) church tower in the Netherlands.

jmpoet said:
So is Wacken Open Air a rock/metal festival?  Europe has so many festivals-- it's pretty awesome, I think, as there aren't very many here.

Yes, it's the biggest metal festival of Europe. I have been there only once, last year when Maiden played!
It was cool to meet two other forum members (Perun & national acrobat) who both went back this year.

jmpoet said:
I suppose it would be kind of creepy in the vault itself -- I've visited New Orleans where the water table is so high, the cemetaries are by necessity all like a necropolis, I guess you could call it, filled with mausoleums, small marble houses, they sort of look like!  You could say it had a chilling kind of vibe! but it was cool at the same time.

Just found this photo and it looks pretty intriguing!

flooded_cemetary_new_orleans

jmpoet said:
I never realized that Hamburg was also a canal city - I guess I thought it was basically Venice and Amsterdam and that was it!  That would be interesting to see.

I think Birmingham (UK) may have the most/longest canals of any city in the world (definitely more than Venice). I guess they're just not attractive enough to be famous (although the fact that Brum has more canals than Venice is well known, I believe).

jmpoet said:

Yes and no. Hamburg isn't a canal city in the sense that it dominates the cityscape. Most of the city is definitely "terra firma", and doesn't even have much of a maritime flair to it outside the districts around the harbour. Most of the town's bridges are located in the huge harbour area, which indeed is full of canals, but you don't notice that unless you have business there- it's a huge industrial area that isn't very nice to visit. The most of the harbour most people get to see is the historic part which isn't used for anything outside tourism anymore. Hence, most people are actually surprised to learn that Hamburg has so many bridges, because they are not present in the regular cityscape. I lived there for a year and hardly ever crossed a bridge.

It is often cited to be the biggest heavy metal festival in the world, but I don't know if that is true. It certainly draws the biggest names in metal, including Iron Maiden last year, and Heaven and Hell (Black Sabbath) this year. I've been there twice, as Foro said, and it's a blast.

Forostar said:
Yes, it's the biggest metal festival of Europe. I have been there only once, last year when Maiden played!
It was cool to meet two other forum members (Perun & national acrobat) who both went back this year.

That sounds like it would be a cool place to see Maiden definitely.

Forostar said:
Just found this photo and it looks pretty intriguing!

flooded_cemetary_new_orleans

Wow, that must have been after Hurricane Katrina -- or well, I shouldn't guess at it, but that's what it looks like because of all the water flooding the cemetery.  I was able to walk around them when I was there, so I'm thinking that is floodwater.  They are interesting though -- even in flood!

So now we can add Birmingham to the list of canal cities, which I did not know of course.  Although I think the history and way of life in Venice is unique among all of them.  Nothing's really like it.  ;)

I joined because I wasn't happy with the Maiden Survivor results. One of Clansman or Futureal has to stay...

Seeing as we've talked about countries and stuff recently I may as well mention I'm from England and that any spelling, punctuation and grammar errors are because of my stupidity as opposed to anything else.

So hi and stuff!

Edit: Wait, you even have a football thread. Ideal!

Jonszat said:
I joined because I wasn't happy with the Maiden Survivor results. One of Clansman or Futureal has to stay...

Seeing as we've talked about countries and stuff recently I may as well mention I'm from England and that any spelling, punctuation and grammar errors are because of my stupidity as opposed to anything else.

So hi and stuff!

Edit: Wait, you even have a football thread. Ideal!

The Clansman and Futureal should stay, but the site rules are that you must vote out the first two songs instead.  :halo:  :innocent:

Welcome aboard.

Hello everyone,

My name is Dustin, I live in British, Columbia Canada. I found this site just looking for some cool maiden pictures on google. I love deep discussion, have a short attention span and have often said "If I could listen to just one band, for the rest of my life, it would be Iron Maiden." So far, I really enjoy the site. Up the Irons.  B)

Hey howdy. Anyone seen the Dance of Death clip on youtube with the jedi lightsaber fights as the video? Thought that was pretty cool.

Hello all! I realize I probably never posted here enough to be recognized, by most of you, so don't feel bad for having no idea who I am. I drifted away from the website for a long time, but I'm glad to be back! Also, I like to think my post quality will be a bit higher than before, because looking back on my old posts, some/most of them were considerably less than intelligent things to say haha

Hi, the name's David. 17 years old and from North East England. Hopefully I shall be off to university next year so my location should change  :)
My interests include: sports, travelling and music of the metal variety. Favourite band is the obvious but beyond that I'm into a lot of stuff: thrash, death, doom whatever aswell as my favourite..black metal. I am well aware that Iron Maiden were well into their career before I was even born but try not to let my age put you off xD

So there you have it  :bigsmile: Happy to finally be on an Iron Maiden forum.

Back