New posters! Who are you?

Hello Iron Maiden forum members.
After lurking for exactly 1 hour, I decided to register a name.

Thought I'd make my first post in here. It made sense at the time.

My name is John, and I'm from Holland. Do with that information what you will.

Hiya whatsinaname.  I'm also new.  Sometimes I'm known for long posts.  :blush:

No, I don't know what is in a name. 

I think that though a rose may smell as sweet with any other name, people actually connect with a name, and a name as a brand before anything else.  Maybe not though!

So, as far as a name goes, is it correct to say the Netherlands or Holland? 

I was told that Holland is the state or province that Amsterdam is in, and that Netherlands is the appropriate name for the country.
Is that right or wrong?

Well, you can say both Holland or the Netherlands. Holland is more like a nickname these days, though.
The province Amsterdam is in, that'd be Noord-Holland.

Hello everyone!

I've been keeping an eye on this BB for a few weeks now and the community seemed to be nice,so I thought I'd join.
I hope you excuse me if I use the English language inappropriately,it's because I live in Hungary and I haven't had the time nor the chance to take my knowledge to a higher level.
Anyway,I hope I'll be a positive part of this community.

"See" you all around,
The Stranger

Always good to see new people here. Welcome, all.

Assuming you are people, and not some AI experiment gone awry, like Skynet taking a break from nuclear war to look at Maiden websites or something.

Or some kind of space alien logging into the puny human's internets to mess with our heads. "Smoothing out the meat", I think you call it. Space aliens are definitely not welcome.

But everyone else is welcome! So welcome!

SinisterMinisterX said:
Always good to see new people here. Welcome, all.

Assuming you are people, and not some AI experiment gone awry, like Skynet taking a break from nuclear war to look at Maiden websites or something.

Or some kind of space alien logging into the puny human's internets to mess with our heads. "Smoothing out the meat", I think you call it. Space aliens are definitely not welcome.

But everyone else is welcome! So welcome!

Thank you!
/execute command 7891# "total destruction"

WhatsInAName said:
Well, you can say both Holland or the Netherlands. Holland is more like a nickname these days, though.
The province Amsterdam is in, that'd be Noord-Holland.

Ah! Thanks for the explanation.  :)

I live the in the province Zuid-Holland. ;)

nederland.gif

So does Zuid means 'south' then?

I've driven through the Netherlands once-- it was a bus trip when I was still at college, springtime and really pretty.  :)  We stayed at Amsterdam a couple days.  B)

jmpoet said:
So does Zuid means 'south' then?

Yes, that is correct. :)

jmpoet said:
I've driven through the Netherlands once-- it was a bus trip when I was still at college, springtime and really pretty.  :)  We stayed at Amsterdam a couple days.  B)

Nice. I was born there, but my parents moved away after 6 six weeks or so. Everytime I go to Amsterdam I am still amazed by its canals and houses (and the diversity of people! ;) ).

Forostar said:
Nice. I was born there, but my parents moved away after 6 six weeks or so. Everytime I go to Amsterdam I am still amazed by its canals and houses (and the diversity of people! ;) ).

Oh I loved the houses! I really enjoyed just walking around one morning we had free and looking at everything.  And I took pictures of the doorways because I thought they were really unique! :bigsmile:

Now I live in Delft (you could call this city "little Amsterdam" especially because of its canals). Delft has one of the best preserved city centers of the Netherlands. In the historical center you can easily find your way with a seventh century city map.  :)

Back