New Frontier

How good is New Frontier on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
'new Frontier'

[img src=\'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/gorbeast/NewFrontier.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

'new Frontier'

reread the commentary on this song. reread Nicko's quotes from the toorbook. What can I say, Nicko's waaaaay off on his comments... what the hell does cloning have to do with not having a soul (if we accepted that the rest of us do)???! Nicko started writing songs for one reason only: he wants to use Iron Maiden as his preaching stool. The band was kind to him the first time by letting those hurl-provoking lyrics, but sth similar must not pass quality control EVER AGAIN. What about artificial insemination? isn't that man made as well? didn't the church damn those as well when they came out? so if a couple can't have babies the natural way, they're damned to not having children or giving birth to soulless monsters... laughable.

and what about the benefits of cloning. from all those after gig parties Nicko, you may end up 15 years from now with diabetes (I hope you don't)... guess what you will be buying then... human insulin created with cloning techniques...

all in all, it was a disappointment to see such religious pamphlet lyrics end up in a Maiden song.

'new Frontier'

Don't you think you're over-reacting a bit here?
OK, so Nicko's personal opinions may be different from most others here. So, they may be religiously b(i)ased. Does that mean he doesn't have the right to state them?
The members of Iron Maiden have always stated their opinions through their songs. Lyrics such as those to Two Minutes To Midnight, Holy Smoke or Afraid To Shoot Strangers are very subjective and could probably cause a lot of controversy if exposed to a more widespread audience. Still, nobody here says anything against it, because most people here share these opinions.
Nicko's been very quiet in the past 20 years in terms of personal opinions and songwriting. I do think he had to play several songs which he doesn't agree with lyrics-wise. He did so without ever moaning, and he did it very well. Doesn't that give him the right to at least once write lyrics about what he thinks? Nobody forces you to agree with him.
Apart from that, Nicko is not very different from all the other band members. Iron Maiden has always had very provocative lyrics, and I suppose there is always someone who feels offended by them. Why the hell may every band member write such lyrics except Nicko?

Apart from that, I quite like the song. I don't agree with the lyrics, but see my above comments. It's certainly not the best thing Maiden have ever done, but it's decent. Three stars.

'new Frontier'

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Feb 28 2005, 10:58 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Feb 28 2005, 10:58 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Don't you think you're over-reacting a bit here?
OK, so Nicko's personal opinions may be different from most others here. So, they may be religiously b(i)ased. Does that mean he doesn't have the right to state them?
The members of Iron Maiden have always stated their opinions through their songs. Lyrics such as those to Two Minutes To Midnight, Holy Smoke or Afraid To Shoot Strangers are very subjective and could probably cause a lot of controversy if exposed to a more widespread audience. Still, nobody here says anything against it, because most people here share these opinions.
Nicko's been very quiet in the past 20 years in terms of personal opinions and songwriting. I do think he had to play several songs which he doesn't agree with lyrics-wise. He did so without ever moaning, and he did it very well. Doesn't that give him the right to at least once write lyrics about what he thinks? Nobody forces you to agree with him.
Apart from that, Nicko is not very different from all the other band members. Iron Maiden has always had very provocative lyrics, and I suppose there is always someone who feels offended by them. Why the hell may every band member write such lyrics except Nicko?

Apart from that, I quite like the song. I don't agree with the lyrics, but see my above comments. It's certainly not the best thing Maiden have ever done, but it's decent. Three stars.
[snapback]98799[/snapback]​
[/quote]

fair call. you're right

'new Frontier'

I understand both points of view, and I sure as hell agree with Gor, although Perun has made a good point.

I still think that the lyrics of '[a href=\'http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/index.php?url=album13_dod/commentary13_dod&lang=eng&link=albums#track7\' target=\'_blank\']New Frontier[/a]' are a lot of religious gobbledegook that do not take into account any aspect of reality. Cloning is something that happens naturally in many kingdoms of life and doing it artificially is simply a way to use nature as a tool (like cheese or bread making, or even wine, these being the most ancient biotechnologies known to Man) and will not lead to soulless beings --provided that we define first what the soul is (but that's another discussion).

If Man hadn't harnessed Nature the way he did -- sort of "playing god -- we'd still be living in caves and waiting for another lightning bolt to set fire to a tree to cook our next warm meal... [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'new Frontier'

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Feb 28 2005, 02:31 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Feb 28 2005, 02:31 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]and waiting for another lightning bolt to set fire to a tree to cook our next warm meal...  [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]98813[/snapback]​
[/quote]
What ? Do you mean there's another method ? [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Anyway, more than the song - after all it's just a song and we can have our own interpretation of the lyrics - the thing which hurts me is what Nicko says above : "Only God has the right to create a human being".

I think it's stupid : even if you believe in God, you still have something to do if you want to create a human being. And it's your decision, not God's one.
I don't know if he has children, but maybe waits he God to do the job... Poor Mrs McBrain ! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

The song isn't my favorite at all. H's solo is really great, but the end it's a little reminiscence of 'The Mercenary's one.

2 Stars.

'new Frontier'

All fair points but time for the monk to have his say. One thing is to use nature another is to abuse it. One is to unlock its secrets another is to abuse them. Artificial incemination, test tube babies etc, are simply AIDING the natural process with an egg and a sperm. Cloning does not do that, cloning doesn't bring forth a "new" individual, but a carbon copy (physically) of the "parent" specimen. We have gone through this before and I am surprised people still get their panties in a bunch over it. Religion isn't only about God, souls and going to hell mumbo jumbo, it is about tradition. Orthodox Jews still make sure they live in a jewish neighborhood and close to a Sinagoge because they want their children to play with their neighbors kids, walk together to temple, still want PERSONAL relationships in their community. Something cities have destroyed making relationships impersonal and economical (and more and more each time you don't even talk to a person but a recording). They fight modernity and change because not all change is good, sometimes its just a siren call.

Aside from the "playing god" arguments and frankenstien crap I think cloning is simply that, a siren call.

'new Frontier'

hi maverick - first I have to say that your maiden commentary is the best maiden site on the net [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] . (BTW: I am the webmaster of Alexander's Iron Maiden Fanpage, the second listed site on your sites link list [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

But I strongly disagree about New Frontier's lyrics. The essence of the lyrics is: cloning humans is wrong, what would it be like for the clones, etc.

From what I have read, you are against cloning humans too - so what's the point?

Ok, there's lots of religious stuff in the song - but this is still entertainment!
I don't think the lyrics would be better if they would be full of scientific terms [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

The lyrics are just a little story, and it never came to my mind that the lyrics could offend "normal" scientists - maybe they offend scientists who want to clone humans, but they are supposed to be offended by the lyrics!

I wouldn't call myself religious and still I like the lyrics (and other lyrics including god too like 'sign of the cross' or 'judgement of heaven').

'new Frontier'

Hello Alexander, I'd noticed you around [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I still stick to my guns in the way that this is a silly pamphlet for those who don't know about the various forms of cloning and see this excellent tool as evil. (well, maybe even fire was considered evil about 1 million years back! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

The lyrics are simply abysmal, but the music's good though! [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'new Frontier'

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Mar 17 2005, 06:48 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Mar 17 2005, 06:48 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Hello Alexander, I'd noticed you around  [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I still stick to my guns in the way that this is a silly pamphlet for those who don't know about the various forms of cloning and see this excellent tool as evil. (well, maybe even fire was considered evil about 1 million years back!  [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

The lyrics are simply abysmal, but the music's good though!  [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]100025[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I don't see cloning as a tool of evil also, but I accept your opinion of course.

PS: This board rules - The IMBB is full of spammers and flamers.

'new Frontier'

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I still think that the lyrics of 'New Frontier' are a lot of religious gobbledegook that do not take into account any aspect of reality. Cloning is something that happens naturally in many kingdoms of life and doing it artificially is simply a way to use nature as a tool (like cheese or bread making, or even wine, these being the most ancient biotechnologies known to Man) and will not lead to soulless beings --provided that we define first what the soul is (but that's another discussion).

If Man hadn't harnessed Nature the way he did -- sort of "playing god -- we'd still be living in caves and waiting for another lightning bolt to set fire to a tree to cook our next warm meal...[/quote]

I agree with Maverick. I was more into the song before looking at the lyrics closely. Whether you believe in cloning or not is not relevent to this song -- because this song just rehashes old ignorant stereotypes about cloning, i.e. person will have no soul/can't think for oneself, personality is same, etc. If Nicko wanted to write a song about cloning he should have added more relevant criticisms about cloning, i.e. not from religious point of view, but rather a questioning if cloning would actually work on humans without serious side effects, or the cloned person's social life when everyone knows he/she was cloned.
But if I ignore the meaning of the lyrics it makes a nice story like other fictional stories Maiden did.

Re: 'new Frontier'

Babo 91 said:
Am i the only one who thinks this is one of maidens most epic solo sections ?

The instrumental section in this is really good, with Adrian's riff and Dave's unusual (but catchy) solo. However, the rest of the song is what drags it down a bit to my ears.

Daily Song: New Frontier

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: New Frontier

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I always wondered what parts of this song Nicko wrote. Suffice to say, I am not a fan of the song's lyrical content. It's not a bad little rocker musically, but the lyrics lose it points. If I can't identify in some aspect with a song like this, I won't like it. 5/10.

Re: Daily Song: New Frontier

This song has lost much luster for me over the years since it was released but for quite a while there it was one of my DoD favourites...the reasons being the carving riff before the solo, the solo, Niko's credit (for which bit?) and for the fact it took me back to a classic era NOTB and POM sound, which was novel. But it has lost some impact and magic whilst others DoD song have grown in immortality over the same time (DoD, Face in the Sand).

Musically, a second-tier single-style song, with a good pre-chorus, a fairly catchy chorus and a solid solo. Unfortunately, the lyrics seem to bring out the science Nazi in some people (who must not be named). While I get where that is coming from, I’m not among them. Seven.

That's the old-timer in me speaking. I remember Mav's long winded rants on the chat about how foolish the lyrics are. Only a hint of that vitriol ended up on the IMC.

Better then gates of tomorrow. 6/10. Pretty good chorus and solo.

Really underrated song, much better than Wildest Dreams and Gates Of Tomorrow. Chorus is fantastic, and guitar melody on the chorus is really good.
I don't really pay attention to the lyrics. 7/10. Maybe it rises to 8/10 next year...

Back