1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Frontier

Discussion in 'Dance Of Death' started by gor, Sep 22, 2003.

?

How good is New Frontier on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9

9.7%
  3. 8

9.7%
  4. 7

22.6%
  5. 6

32.3%
  6. 5

16.1%
  7. 4

6.5%
  8. 3

3.2%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

A solid tune, very classic Maiden. The solo section is great, especially the part under Murray's lead. The chorus is catchy as hell.

Brigantium likes this.
  2. Eric Wright

Eric Wright Nomad

4/10

It's catchy, but sub-par for Maiden. It's interesting listening to Nicko's thoughts and opinions in the lyrics, even though I strongly disagree with them.

3. Gk1

Gk1 Ancient Mariner

I think the song has the usual mistakes. Meaning that the music,solo,vocal lines are great......but there is too much repetition. I got to edit the song and I think that it now sounds far better

4. Eddieson

Eddieson Nomad

Sounds like a filler to me. A good filler, but still a filler.
    There is nothing bad about the song, apart from maybe some of the lyrics. The vocals are good, especially the wails bruce does at the end of the chorus. Adrians solo is great as usual. The chorus is great and catchy.
    But the song doesn't do anything special for me. Therefore a 6. (I saw I voted a 7 before)

6/10

5. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

No. Just no. Sorry, Nicko, but this is as "Maiden on autopilot" as it gets. 4/10 and I'm being generous.

6. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

I don't buy into the whole 'filler' thing, but I'll call this slightly generic. Still enjoyable, though. I'd ideally give it a 6.5 rather than a 7, if that option was available.

7. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Me neither. Especially since Nicko wrote it, I can't imagine him writing a song just for the hell of it after 20 years. I think it's more accurate that he's an amateur songwriter and we got an amateur song. They probably left it on the album as a courtesy to Nicko.

It's still fun though, I think the riffs are really catchy and it has a great chorus. Similar to Gates, it feels a bit like Maiden going through the motions but I think this song is far superior. Better vocal melodies, a better riff, better soloing. It's the better example of an average rocker. The guitar melodies at around the 3:30 mark are awesome. That bit wouldn't have been out of place on the Powerslave album.

Again, I think the biggest flaw with DoD is having Gates of Tomorrow and New Frontier back to back. One or the other would've been fine, but having both in a row makes the album seem worse than it really is IMO.

8. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Nice of Nicko to write a song. I like everything except the lyrics. 6/10.

9. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Not as bad as GofTomorrow but still absolutely filler. Dave is good on it though. This album should have been 9 or 8 tracks only.

10. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

7/10

New Frontier is the first (and only) song that Nicko has ever written for the band, apparently coming up with the bass lines for the main riff and verses, as well as most of the lyrics. It’s an odd song in Maiden’s catalogue, dealing with Nicko’s Christian beliefs that human cloning is somewhere along the lines of a Satanic ritual. Adrian’s bluesy licks throughout are rather cool and the chorus is certainly catchy, but overall New Frontier is another unremarkable rocker. The verses are rather pedestrian in both lyrics and melodies. The bridge is great, though, with the first half sounding like something that could have been on Killers or Number of the Beast. Murray's mini-solo and the trio of guitar harmonies perfectly encapsulate the new Maiden sound. It’s a small moment that is a great melding of the ages.

11. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Gott Mit Uns

Let's get it out of the way - the lyrics are some of the band's most mediocre. I imagine the song came about something like this:

STEVE: Huh, Nicko's never written a fucking song yet. And he's been in the band for forever. This needs to be rectified. HEY NICKO!
    NICKO: Yeah?
    STEVE: Got an idea for a song?
    NICKO: Um, well I-
    STEVE: Good, write it!
    *later on, Nicko presents his composition*
    STEVE: Huh, this is... huh.
    NICKO: Yeah, it's not that good but-
    STEVE: We'll do this song, but stick to the drums henceforth, 'kay, Nick ol' chum?
    NICKO: Oh roight-y ho.

But besides the lyrics, this is an excellent track. It's catchy, the chorus is great, and the music is excellent. A good 9/10 from me.

12. Poto

Poto Ancient Mariner

This song is... I don't know.. not good, but not bad. It's there. And that's a problem because you shouldn't have two mediocre songs in a row.

6/10