Murders in the Rue Morgue

How good is Murders in the Rue Morgue on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
  • Definitely one of the highlights of the album. I absolutely love the intro and the heavy riff that comes with it.
  • The song is structured pretty "run-of-the-mill" for Maiden but it has an undeniable great energy that a lot of tracks in the same vein don't come anywhere near.
  • The mid-section with the harmonies are fantastic. Pure, unadultarated energy.
  • I'm not high on the chorus, it's a bit annoying.
8/10.

Murders in the Rue Morgue has such an incredible amount of energy in it. I once had a quiz on the poem, I didn't read it, I just listened to the song as I thought it would be enough. I got a C. Nevertheless, one of the best songs on the album
10/10

One of my favorites of the Di Anno era! The intro is just fantastic and that bass line was an inspiration when I first started playing the bass. I also like the story telling quality of the lyrics and it has a nice tempo. The could have skipped the extra chorus after the solo though, even if I encourage every step away from the most obvious arrangements, here it serves no purpose.
8/10

A great intro, lots of energy. Suffers from a repetitive chorus that doesn't do much. Works out at a...

7/10

They should open concerts with this song more. The drum intro is perfect and this is one of their best uptempo tunes. Bruce does it a ton of justice too, there aren't a lot of Di'Anno songs that he does particularly well but I think this one really suits his voice well. Lots of great instrumental work too. Harris really steals the show with his bass playing and I love the guitar leads in the break.

9/10. One of the best intros of any Maiden song IMO. I'm surprised they didn't drop Ides Of March and put this song as the intro of Killers. I really like hearing it to start Beast Over Hammersmith though! The whole song is pretty good though and along with Wrathchild is my favorite song on side 1 of Killers.

6. Catchy enough but not much else.

Rankings:

1980 - Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

1981 - Killers

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue

Another really good song. Beautiful intro, cool instrumental part and intense verses. The chorus is the weakest part, still works though. 8/10

Absolutely loved this when I first heard it but it's worn off over time. Pretty exciting track in places but the chorus just becomes too repetitive.

7. Just.

One of the best Di Anno era songs, most definitely. Decent lyrics, expecially compared to the rest of early Maiden songs, nice intro, nice bass, and overall a fun song, that maybe should be played live again

Okay, here we got another early, in-the-making Maiden masterpiece. Not quite there yet, but consistent enough to grow closer. Best intro on the album and one of the best on Maiden's entire discography (it works especially well as the intro to Beast Over Hammersmith), and easily one of the most energetic tracks this band's ever done. A solid 9.

A nice moody intro gives way to an OK riff with a nice lead, before a massive drum fill kicks off the main song.

Something about the delivery of the verse has an odd vintage rock feel to it that I can't quite put my finger on. Paul gives a punky, almost half-spoken performance, but it works. The verse riff is basic, but with nice rhythmic fills. The chorus is catchy and brief, and rolls right into the next verse and chorus.

I'm not a fan of the bridge and the vocal following the guitar there, but it's over quickly, circling back to the verse and chorus.

A strong instrumental break leads into a nice harmonized solo, then back to the chorus and yet another round of verse and chorus, with a nice final wail from Paul.

There's a lot to like here, with only a few weaker aspects. 7/10.

Back