Most tortured rhyme in a Maiden song?

I am not sure if anyone read it but that's basically what I said in my 2nd post on page 3.
Knowing (the meaning of) lyrics and discussing them make the song richer but I think that at least for me they are not the only key to the start of enjoyment. Often they are the final touch of the enjoyment. The cream on the cake.

I can't answer for everyone here but maybe the other post was quoted and not yours because it was more easily quotable, i.e. written in such a way that got the point across better. This sort of thing happens all the time, don't take it personally.

Like Ke$ha?

I care about what the singer is wailing, yes. This is just a difference in preference, some people are strictly listening to the music and the lyrics are just a texture, and some people are listening to the lyrics and the music is just a background. Personally, I listen to both equally. Lyrics are definitely more important in folk music, jazz, etc. because the vocals are most likely not being drowned in a cacophony of distorted sound. However, I don't think that makes it ok for metal bands to write shitty lyrics just cause the melody and music is good. On the other hand...

NukeTiger.jpg

WTF is that picture? Is that celebrating when Pakistan or India got the nuke or something?

Back to tortured lyrics......how about this one, from Man on the Edge: "Once he built missiles, a nations defense......now he can't even give birthday presents". Now that one hurts.

Yeah, that one is pathetic. Possibly the worst one mentioned yet, just in terms of actual lyrical writing.

WTF is that picture? Is that celebrating when Pakistan or India got the nuke or something?

I dunno, I searched "atomic tiger" and that showed up!

Hey, @Check the Declination! , note what I just did here in quoting multiple posts within one reply. Something to think about moving forward. ;)

EDIT: WINK!

Last edited:
Back to the original question: "Charlotte the harlot show me your legs, Charlotte the harlot take me to bed. Charlotte the harlot let me see blood, Charlotte the harlot let me see love." This is pretty much the only line in an IM song which causes me pain. Terrible, terrible pain.

This may be blasphemous but....I don't even like Hooks in You.... *hides*
So remember that time I said this about Hooks in You? .....I've been listening to it more and more and...I actually kind of like it for as cheesy and bad as it is. What can I say? It's kind of catchy. :D

And I danced and I pranced and I sang with them
All had death in their eyes
Lifeless figures they were undead all of them
They had ascended from hell

Especially the Ascended From Hell part always sound unnatural to me....

"They make a tea and sit there waiting
They're in the shelter feeling snug
Not long to wait for absolution
Don't make a fuss; just sit and wait"

Ehm...

Actually the weay the story is told in When The Wild Wind Blows is kinda annoying, lyrically.

Maiden has many of these to be honest :p

The lyrics in "Dance of Death" are occasionally so silly that they pull me out of the story. The previously mentioned set is the worst part, for sure.

As for "Wild Wind", I do love that song, but I have the same issues with the lyrics. Any song that says "I'm just sitting and waiting and sitting around blah blah blah" basically says to me: the protagonist is bored, I'll be bored if I keep listening.

Agree about that Knicker...of course in the context of the song that sitting and waiting in the shelter because of the fallout and all that makes sense...but it's still a bad lyric.Especially the last line of the verse I quoted. That full stop after the word "Wait" in "Just sit and Wait"...really annoys me.

To be honest the lyrics to When the Wild Wind Blows sound very much like my very first attempt to write lyrics. I had thrown that in the garbage the day after.

Agree about that Knicker...of course in the context of the song that sitting and waiting in the shelter because of the fallout and all that makes sense...but it's still a bad lyric.Especially the last line of the verse I quoted. That full stop after the word "Wait" in "Just sit and Wait"...really annoys me.

To be honest, I really like those lyrics. They are a perfect reflection of the atmosphere captured in Raymond Briggs' graphic novel "When the wind blows".

Back