Montsegur

How good is Montsegur on a scale 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'montsegur'

Was listening to this today, I noticed that the end of Janicks solo sounds a lot like the main riff/melody from White Spirits Red Skies

If anybody has a copy of either the Muthas Pride EP or the White Spirit album, would you agree with me?

I went to Montségur in early May and the place is pretty impressive! No wonder it gave Bruce the ideas to write such great lyrics.

I thought the whole place was destroyed and rebuilt or not?

The place interests me as well, and at least, the location (mountain?) is still there.

Daily Song: Montsegur

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Montsegur

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

It's a heavy song, but it doesn't click. I like it well enough, but I find Bruce to be a little annoying, and the song is a hint too "happy" for what it discusses. 6/10.

Re: Daily Song: Montsegur

This song is awkward because it deals with dramatic lyrics, but they are brought with some kind of Black Adderish intensity, reminding me of The Sheriff of Huddersfield (which has the same rhythm as well).

Thank God not all parts sound so happy. I tended to give a 6 for a long while, but lately I have grown fond of its heaviness.

Low 7.

This song is IMO similar in terms of quality and a "role" in the album as The Fallen Angel on BNW, The Pilgrim on AMOL&D and Mother Of Mercy on TFF. Short 4-5 minute rockers, very similar in structure.

Rating later...

I like the melodies and the chorus, but it is lacking a bit when compared to similar rockers of the reunion era.  I'll give it a 7.

Intro is great — dark, menacing and violent. But Bruce sounds too shrill on the chorus for my tastes, the bridge doesn’t quite work and the threatening feel falls away as the song goes on. Add in the usual nice instrumental part and an intriguing lyric and you’ve got a low seven.

7. I concur with Forostar, the happy mood of prechorus part kills it. A lot of potential wasted - still a good heavy song.

One of the more heavier songs that Maiden has done, it's not as good as the 2 preceding it (or the next one), but it's still a very good song in it's own right. Another song with the repeating chorus, but it's not as much of an issue as No More Lies. I just love that main riff though, which boosts the score up to 8/10.

It is very heavy, which does the song good, and I think the lyrics are pretty good too. I understand why people think this sounds 'happy', but to me personally, it rather sounds angry, disgusted and frustrated, which does the lyrics and topic justice. I never really felt this song is special, but it has grown on me. A high 6/10.

Very good up tempo metal song. One of my favorites off DOD and sadly overlooked. I don't have any problems with this song at all. 10/10

highly underrated track, the guitar going along with the pre-chorus is unlike anything IM has ever done, and it's a great passionate tune. I gave it a 9. Agree that it's got a Black Adderish quality to it, though - I think much of DOD has some parodying moments, from parts of this one to the Spinal Tap-esque title track. Do I like them any less? Hell no!  :edmetal:

The guitars are a little bit too heavy. The lyrics are dramatic, but awesome. Good verses.

The verses are alright, but I've never been able to get into the chorus. 6

7/10... It's never been a favorite off this album, but not a bad tune. Bruce's vocal is lacking for me, and as heavy as the song is, it's never grabbed me.

Back