Metallica

It's funny because if I'd written this two days ago when I first heard it, I'd have slagged off literally every song except maybe "One". This was a far more positive review than I ever expected to write.

Live Shit: Binge & Purge
Seattle '89

Metallica+-+Live+Shit+Binge+%26+Purge+Seattle.jpg

What a fucking ride. So much energy, so much fury, so much aggression, so much bite, so much Metallica. This thing is awesome, a live tour-de-force that is right up there with Rock In Rio and Swedish Empire Live for me. Kicking off with "Blackened", which is marvelous when played at full speed live in concert, moving through a wide variety of classics from the first four albums, and pretty much every song here sounds great. I was hard on "Seek & Destroy" as a part of the debut, but live it's definitely better, at least a 7, and "Fade To Black" works a lot better without the fade-out and a gradual stop instead. "One" packs a gigantic punch live, the bass solo that segues into a piece from "To Live Is To Die" is awesome, and the way "Master of Puppets" rip forth straight from that is fucking stellar. "Harvester of Sorrow" is a steel monster here, "Sanitarium" is still moody and sinister, more so when played live, and "Creeping Death" is just a killer thrash song that takes no prisoners and slaughters the opposition.

Yet the centerpiece of the whole show and the best song from a concert with a shit-ton of fucking great songs has to be "...And Justice For All" itself. I gave the studio version a 9 and I remain adamant that it isn't quite perfect there, but holy fuck does it really come to life here. It's epic, it sounds huge, from the intro to the heavy part to the verse - James sounds great live, by the way, as does Justin when he does the backing vocals - the instrumental is fantastic, and that chorus is just a monument of rock solid metal. And then when the lights come down and Lady Justice falls apart it goes to the next level. Such a fantastic song and IMO it should be played at every concert. Fuck the people asleep in the front row, they don't know what they missed. This live version is probably my favorite Metallica track now (though "For Whom The Bell Tolls" is still the best in studio).

The version I watched had everything after "Battery" cut, so I'll check that out another time, but suffice to say that this was awesome. Thanks.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I might open an official petition to keep Dave Murray out of the songwriting of next Maiden's album. Steve: there is no need to give Davey a songwriting credit to keep some kind of quota when the song in question is just going to be an amalgamation of different ideas that have been arranged in a haphazard way.

That's unfair.

The classic Dickinson/Murray songwriting team needs to return to give us a 3 minute pop hit like PENO, JBMG or Rainmaker.

Back on topic: I do not follow what Metallica do that closely, but hasn't James Hetfield put on a lot of weight?

Definitely looks like it. Still looking pretty good.

More importantly, "Dream No More" sounds fucking awesome in a lower tuning. D is such a weird tuning, everything tends to sound better another half step or step lower.

Live Shit: Binge & Purge
Seattle '89

The version I watched had everything after "Battery" cut, so I'll check that out another time, but suffice to say that this was awesome. Thanks.
If you can find it wherever you listen to these, you should check out the remixed version of it that was included (audio only) in the AJFA remastered box set. Should be available on YouTube and digitally. The mix is not worlds better, but there's way less fake crowd noise and the drums are super punchy, and don't have any of the little edits they had originally (which themselves are so minor it's a mystery why they even bothered).

If you can find it wherever you listen to these, you should check out the remixed version of it that was included (audio only) in the AJFA remastered box set. Should be available on YouTube and digitally. The mix is not worlds better, but there's way less fake crowd noise and the drums are super punchy, and don't have any of the little edits they had originally (which themselves are so minor it's a mystery why they even bothered).
Well do, thanks for the heads-up.

Also, I feel like I ought to point this out because I didn't see it pointed out before: the first part of the Orion solo is on bass, not guitar. The guitar part only happens once the song shifts to the ending riff.

Yeah I probably should've been clearer on that. Indeed, that's the solo I meant, the one that's right at the tail end of the harmony section. It comes in after a short guitar solo and is followed by another guitar solo and it's very confusing to try and remember the exact order of those things. The booklet also mentions the second guitar solo being Hetfield's, but I'm really unsure what that actually refers to since I don't think he plays any of them live.

The booklet also mentions the second guitar solo being Hetfield's, but I'm really unsure what that actually refers to since I don't think he plays any of them live.

I think they mean the entire harmony section

It's possible, but it'd be pretty unusual. Metallica's always made the distinction between harmony sections and solos because typically James plays the former and Kirk the latter. From a songwriting perspective harmonies count for credits while solos do not, so it would follow that the harmony can't be what the booklet is referring to given that the harmony was written by Cliff, not James. He may perform it, but saying it's "his" would be inaccurate.

3. Eye of the Beholder - A pounding riff fades up from the abyss and I quite like this build-up. It's quite immense. The slight change-up I don't like as much. When the song actually gets going it's kinda... bland. Not a fan of the verse, either. It's just... average IMO. The change-up to the pre-chorus isn't that great and neither is the pre-chorus itself. The change-up to the chorus is worse. The chorus is a little better but it just feels weak to me. I get what they're going for with these lyrics, but I don't think they fully nailed the topic. Another round through and it feels weaker than it did the first time. The first solo is pretty interesting because it sounds like something off of a Maiden record, maybe SSOASS or what the band would do four years later with Fear of the Dark. The second solo is kinda like Mercyful Fate, which is also cool. Alas, the solos are basically the only thing this song has going for it. Another round through and it still doesn't get any better, and ending the the song with the pre-chorus is a fail. This one screams "filler", and not even the good kind. It's Metallica throwing shit together and not well. Bland, bland song, and it isn't even the worst on the album. 4/10
Ouch. That's legit my favorite track on the album.

The Black Album is legitimately the most confusing album here so far. Honestly, there isn't a bad song here, it's just that the songs are pumped full of stuff that, if taken out, would have made for a smoother, more simplistic record like they were intending. Instead, this one is about as unapologetic as Metallica has ever gotten. The repetition that marred Kill 'Em All, the extra stuff that made ...And Justice For All "progressive", and the length for the sake of length that has pervaded Metallica's discography since the beginning and only seemed to work on Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets is back in full swing right here. This is going to take some time to digest. Whew. Crazy album. How was this the one that broke them into the mainstream again?

Back