Metallica

Load, Reload and St. Anger are albums I have absolutely no interest to go back to except for a song or two.

Reload is my #3 Metallica album and I go back to it very often. St.Anger used to be in my top 3 at one point as well but it dropped to #8 (thank god).

Using gastronomy as a comparison, that would be like someone started eating shit (literally) out of curiosity before having tried meat, fish, fruit or veg! :lol:
I hate to keep saying this, but I’m not a complete newcomer to Metallica. I knew a good amount of songs to know their traditional sound; I wanted to try Lulu and St. Anger because they can’t be that bad, right?

I was right about Lulu, but not about St. Anger.

I've heard enough of Lulu to know I don't want to listen to it in its entirety. I don't know whether the hate was entirely deserved, but I get why people may have been kinda pissed about it, given that things seemed to be looking up after St. Anger with Death Magnetic, only to get... whatever Lulu is a few years later.

From what I remember, Lulu was a weird combination that could have worked and wasn’t as bad as most say, but the execution was lacking in several areas.

Meanwhile, St. Anger was a mistake outright. Bleh.

Despite the fact I'm a huge Metallica fan I've never actually listened to a single second of Lulu, I think that's a matter that needs to be put right.

Or does it:ninja:

There are some good ideas on 'St. Anger' - more than on the two subsequent albums in my opinion - but the execution is a mess.

4 songs on Stage Anger were a mistake, Sweet Amber and Dirty Window are very fine songs (Judge jury executioner and the Sweet Anger chorus are very good moments)

Hands and Monster are maybe too long but they're both journeys

Frantic, St Anger and Unnamed Feeling are some top Metallica songs. Frantic has fantastic verses and bridge, "I feel my world shake" part in the title track, how is this not good?

The Unnamed Feeling is very obviously one of the best songs from the black album to maybe Death Magnetic,

Purity is fucking bad and Invisible Kid is the extended version and tictictictoc is not brilliant lyric writing but the album is length, good, angry, very in-the-moment listening and the trash can is just a joke after the first listen.

Of course it's the least good Metallica album, it has the only songs that are just bad, but it has more than a plenty of good and it's not worth dismissing it first time!

4 songs on Stage Anger were a mistake, Sweet Amber and Dirty Window are very fine songs (Judge jury executioner and the Sweet Anger chorus are very good moments)

Hands and Monster are maybe too long but they're both journeys

Frantic, St Anger and Unnamed Feeling are some top Metallica songs. Frantic has fantastic verses and bridge, "I feel my world shake" part in the title track, how is this not good?

The Unnamed Feeling is very obviously one of the best songs from the black album to maybe Death Magnetic,

Purity is fucking bad and Invisible Kid is the extended version and tictictictoc is not brilliant lyric writing but the album is length, good, angry, very in-the-moment listening and the trash can is just a joke after the first listen.

Of course it's the least good Metallica album, it has the only songs that are just bad, but it has more than a plenty of good and it's not worth dismissing it first time!
Yeah guys listen to this dude.

Back