Metallica

Indeed, its an odd tour schedule, large, regular gaps. Do they normally do that?

If I was goin to Slane and I could afford it, I would go Golden Circle. VIP is a rip off, IMO, and the rest is too far away for the price.

I'm wondering if they deliberately picked Twickenham to see if they can outsell Maiden (which they probably will).

My reaction the moment I saw the ticket prices!

giphy.gif

I'm wondering if they deliberately picked Twickenham to see if they can outsell Maiden (which they probably will).

I don't think it's anything like that. It's clever marketing; the last London dates were Metallica's first non-festival dates in years, they sold out immediately, but now a year later they're back. Anybody who missed out on the last shows (like me) will likely snap those Twickenham tickets up.

I don't think it's anything like that. It's clever marketing; the last London dates were Metallica's first non-festival dates in years, they sold out immediately, but now a year later they're back. Anybody who missed out on the last shows (like me) will likely snap those Twickenham tickets up.

Sorry my post wasn't very clear, I meant Maiden's attendance figure at Twickenham a few years ago, and I meant Metallica picked playing in Twickenham rather than any other large venue around London, which there are obviously loads, as a possible attempt beat Maiden's figure.

I'm not an expert on Metallica though, they've probably already played to bigger crowds in England than what Maiden managed at Twickenham.

I'm not an expert on Metallica though, they've probably already played to bigger crowds in England than what Maiden managed at Twickenham.
I can't find official attendance figures, but reviews of Metallica's Wembley show in 2007 and Maiden's Twickenham show in 2008 say the attendances were 65,000 and 60,000 respectively. You can probably put error bars of 10,000 on those figures.

Sorry my post wasn't very clear, I meant Maiden's attendance figure at Twickenham a few years ago, and I meant Metallica picked playing in Twickenham rather than any other large venue around London, which there are obviously loads, as a possible attempt beat Maiden's figure.

I see. My apologies, I didn't know Maiden had ever played Twickenham.

I guess Metallica played to a bigger crowd at Glastonbury festival, but considering half of them wanted Metallica chucked off the bill I don't know if it really counts. :p

I'm inclined to say that Glastonbury doesn't count as no tickets were sold on the basis of Metallica being on the bill. Maiden could play it too but that will never happen. Apparently its too bourgeois for Maiden, as Bruce, Dave, Steve and Nicko live such working class lives. ::)

It seems to be the stadium to play in London these days. If I remember correctly, The Rolling Stones played this year and U2 last year.

Last edited:
Back