Metallica

Yeah, Ariana said it in another thread ;) I'm going 100% if it's those 3. I wouldn't go if it was a solo show for either of them (seen Metallica once and it was enough, never saw Kiss and saw Slayer twice, but last album was shit and they don't have Lombardo), but I will for a package like this because I had a lot of fun this summer at the festival.

I'm inclined to say that Glastonbury doesn't count as no tickets were sold on the basis of Metallica being on the bill. Maiden could play it too but that will never happen. Apparently its too bourgeois for Maiden, as Bruce, Dave, Steve and Nicko live such working class lives. ::)

Yeah, I was talking about bands headlining their own shows not festival bills. Donington 88 would probably be the biggest UK attendence figure for either band if festivals counted.

I can't find official attendance figures, but reviews of Metallica's Wembley show in 2007 and Maiden's Twickenham show in 2008 say the attendances were 65,000 and 60,000 respectively. You can probably put error bars of 10,000 on those figures.
Maiden played for 44000 at Twickenham.

32 years today we lost Cliff Burton:(
I saw them at Hammersmith the week before. I was fourth row back directly in front of Cliff.
It was a bit of a shock when the news came through.

I think all the replacements have been excellent, even better in some areas, but they lost a balance that Cliff's huge presence gave.

I saw them at Hammersmith the week before. I was fourth row back directly in front of Cliff.
It was a bit of a shock when the news came through.

I think all the replacements have been excellent, even better in some areas, but they lost a balance that Cliff's huge presence gave.

That's extremely lucky man, I bet that's a treasured memory for sure

The gaps are family time. I've heard both James and Lars talk about it before.
Yep. I know I'm super late on this, but Lars straight up said there's no way they could do a continuous 72 date trek through the world like certain other, unnamed bands. Metallica's current model is a few weeks on tour, a few off, repeated for about 50 gigs per year in total.

Yep. I know I'm super late on this, but Lars straight up said there's no way they could do a continuous 72 date trek through the world like certain other, unnamed bands. Metallica's current model is a few weeks on tour, a few off, repeated for about 50 gigs per year in total.

Also, dates will be organised every other day at least, never back to back e.g. 13th then 14th. It's why they won't do Download because it won't fit

Lars @ 1:08:30
Kirk @ 1:30:20

Lars is the best he's been in 20 years. Kirk is getting worse and worse.

Lars definitely sounds better than usual here, though that moment you mentioned isn't anything special (just moderately paced blast beats).

Kirk...is atrocious. I don't understand how the other guys continue to let him be this bad. Papa Het is clearly pissed.

Anything special subjective to Lars usual performance? I beg to differ. I mean that's standard Lombardo but Lars isn't on this level usually.
But I didn't put up a compliment there because of these snips of speed, he does keep the steady groove, most of the time.

Also both Rob and Lars lost it at MoP there when Hammet stopped playing to find his way around the fretboard.

Hetfield is like the anti-Kirk. Does he ever make a mistake?

Last edited:
Does the Metallica fans realise how bad they sound at times? Imagine Janick playing like that, people would lose their mind.

Does the Metallica fans realise how bad they sound at times? Imagine Janick playing like that, people would lose their mind.

This was an especially atrocious performance tho. They were pretty damn good for modern Metallica when I saw them last year at Birmingham

Lars definitely sounds better than usual here, though that moment you mentioned isn't anything special (just moderately paced blast beats).

Kirk...is atrocious. I don't understand how the other guys continue to let him be this bad. Papa Het is clearly pissed.
This is Lars's good drumming? :eek:

Back