Metallica

Regarding the sample-y sound of the drums on 72 Seasons, I'm certain Lars is using the same triggers he has on his drums live in the studio now as well.
The mixed live recordings they put out? Sure. He's not using samples live. You can hear it pretty clearly in just about any phone recording at their shows, the bass drum especially is uneven as hell so there's absolutely no way the sound is triggered. Lars has had triggers as noise gates for I think 20 years at this point, but Nicko has them as well so it's not evidence of squat in itself.

Yeah what the fuck. They're both meh in their own ways, but Senjutsu's way of being meh is genuinely annoying because it stems from a lack of effort and a warts-and-all approach that does not suit the band at all if you look at how polished their 80s sound was.

Metallica's is just boring and tiresome to listen to with how loud it is and especially the fucking hi-hat. Other than that, nothing's lost in the mix, the vocals are upfront enough, the drums although very sample-y sounding (and too loud) are at the very least clear sounding without overtones and other noise. It's essentially a boring modern metal mix done by a band that was known for almost too-polished sound in the 90s.

Funny how that works, both bands just suddenly lost their minds after a decade+ of better and better production and never seemed to recover.

I personally think that Hardwired... To Self-Destruct and 72 Seasons sound better than the albums Metallica released during the 80s (I am not talking about the music here, just the production).

I cannot say the same about recent Maiden's albums vs. their 80s masterpieces.

I personally think that Hardwired... To Self-Destruct and 72 Seasons sound better than the albums Metallica released during the 80s (I am not talking about the music here, just the production).

I think Puppets has their best 80s production.

The Black Album, and Load have their best overall production (though not best songs). Black for the thick layered sound. I like the dynamics in Load in that not all songs have the same tone, and they sound distinct from each other. I'm not a fan of very many Load era songs however.

I think Puppets has their best 80s production.

The Black Album, and Load have their best overall production (though not best songs). Black for the thick layered sound. I like the dynamics in Load in that not all songs have the same tone, and they sound distinct from each other. I'm not a fan of very many Load era songs however.

Master of Puppets is definitely their best produced album in the 80s.

The Black Album and Load are really well-produced, but I have never been able to connect with the material.

The Black Album I can connect with. Its no longer Thrash Metal at this point, but is still just plain classic metal.

The Loads. I don't really like too much. There's like maybe 5 or 6 songs across both albums that I like. Then there's the whole change in image that came with them. No thanks to that.

The Black Album I can connect with. Its no longer Thrash Metal at this point, but is still just plain classic metal.

The Loads. I don't really like too much. There's like maybe 5 or 6 songs across both albums that I like. Then there's the whole change in image that came with them. No thanks to that.

I never understood that rejection to Load. The Black Album was a significant change musically (slower than what came before), but I guess it did not suffer from the "Let's have a haircut now that our hair is receding" syndrome.

I would have loved for Mustaine to come back as a third guitarist

I instantly imagined Mustaine dancing and do air guitar* nonsense on stage ala Janick, pretty hilarious.

*Plus being a vocalist for almost 40 years I’d guess he’d feel the need for some “air vocals” too, with an unplugged mic to perform his singing soundless shenanigans!

Bring Dave-in! :D

I instantly imagined Mustaine dancing and do air guitar* nonsense on stage ala Janick, pretty hilarious.

*Plus being a vocalist for almost 40 years I’d guess he’d feel the need for some “air vocals” too, with an unplugged mic to perform his singing soundless shenanigans!

Bring Dave-in! :D

SexyDave_MetalInquisition.gif

I never understood that rejection to Load. The Black Album was a significant change musically (slower than what came before), but I guess it did not suffer from the "Let's have a haircut now that our hair is receding" syndrome.
Its more the pairing of the change in music plus the change in image. You pick up the CD, look at the back cover, then are in shock as you begin to listen. The sound is something between alternative, hard rock, and tinges of metal. Plus track 1 is entitled "Ain't My Bitch". All that together is just too different from the band that gave us Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, ...And Justice For All, and The Black Album.

The Black Album is still very distinctly heavy metal. Its slower for sure, but the layered thickness, tone, and the powerful presence of those songs still make for a sound that while isn't thrash, death, or speed, is still very heavy.

I was only kidding, but do you think Maiden would be criticized if they opened a show with an 8 minute, plodding song? Hmm, I wonder...;)
:ok:
They're both meh in their own ways, but Senjutsu's way of being meh is genuinely annoying because it stems from a lack of effort and a warts-and-all approach that does not suit the band at all if you look at how polished their 80s sound was.

Metallica's is just boring and tiresome to listen to with how loud it is and especially the fucking hi-hat. Other than that, nothing's lost in the mix, the vocals are upfront enough, the drums although very sample-y sounding (and too loud) are at the very least clear sounding without overtones and other noise. It's essentially a boring modern metal mix done by a band that was known for almost too-polished sound in the 90s.

Funny how that works, both bands just suddenly lost their minds after a decade+ of better and better production and never seemed to recover.
It's not a lack of effort (although some of the mistakes are a lazy move on their part, and that's frivolous), it's their preferred sound.

I can't call a modern metal production tiresome to listen to. If it wasn't for the drum sound, Metallica's last two albums would have been with a great production for me. And I like Maiden's productions since 2000 (plus 1992, 1995, 1998). The production in the 80's was unique and while the sound wasn't as powerful as it is now, the vibe is what makes it special. Ride The Lightning is a good example. What I like most about modern metal production is the clean and powerful sound.

About your last sentence, I think it applies a bit more to Maiden, especially since 2006. Metallica's last great produced album was in 1991 imo.
Lars' kit hurts my eyes.
It's thematic.
While Load and Reload have their fair share of fillers, Fuel is definitely not one of them.
I agree.
Only BNW.

Not sure what you consider “recent” but BNW & AMOLAD are also in the masterpiece category, including production.

If we consider the last two, Senjutsu production is terrible but Book of Souls is great and in par with 80s if not better for some cases imho.

Back