Maiden on the radio

I don't usually bother. We had next to no reception in the last place I lived and it's not much better here.

I haven't listened to rock radio since the 90s so I have no idea. Back then I never heard them on the radio.

On a random note - my favorite NHL team the Washington Capitals uses the 'woah' ending part of The Wicker Man as their goal song though. They've been doing that for a few seasons actually. It's totally awesome.

My favourite team uses cannon blasts and signal flares as goal song.

On a random note - my favorite NHL team the Washington Capitals uses the 'woah' ending part of The Wicker Man as their goal song though. They've been doing that for a few seasons actually. It's totally awesome.

As for Maiden on the radio, Can I Play With Madness and The Number of the Beast used to be played sometimes on one of the local radio stations where I live a few years ago, but I haven't really listened in a while, so I can't tell if they still play music like that.

But at least the label are trying to get a bit of airplay for the band:
Iron+Maiden_075-01_%28MNCD+Promo%29_Coming+Home.jpg

Last edited:
I hear Maiden on the radio on a daily basis. I always listen to radio at work, and I listen to one of the rock channels. The songs I remember having heard are Children of the Damned, Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills, Trooper, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Can I Play With Madness, The Clairvoyant, Fear of the Dark and The Wicker Man. I think there may have been a couple of others as well.

I don't hear Maiden on the radio too often here around St. Louis, MO. And when I do, it's almost always rather Run to the Hills or Wasted Years.

I've been listening to our local rock station (KSHE95) for the past decade or so. I've heard Flight of Icarus and Hallowed Be Thy Name just one time a piece, randomly, a few years ago. And I think I've also heard The Number of the Beast and Aces High before, but those are rare too and Run to the Hills and Wasted Years are the two they seem to play semi-regularly.

It was kind of cool though because I won a contest back in 2011 to go and tour the KSHE studios and have lunch with the DJ's of the station. When I was touring the studio, I saw their entire CD/album collection and they had Iron Maiden's "Ed Hunter" CD... so I know they have access to a lot more songs than they play, so I don't understand why they don't play a bigger variety? Other than just Run to the Hills and Wasted Years being well known? They did reveal though that usually the songs they play for the day are pre-determined, and that sometimes thee DJ's themselves don't even get a say so in what gets played. So I don't know.

Anyways, one of the DJs took a personal request from me for three songs I wanted to hear on the air the next day. I asked him if they could be any song, and he said yes. So I requested Caught Somewhere In Time, Powerslave, and Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Sure enough, the next day starting at the hour where this particular DJ goes in the air, he calls me out by name and played all three of those songs. I was very giddy for the entire almost half-of-an-hour it took to play those three; by far the coolest radio station airplay I've ever personally experienced. Hah

Cross Eyed Mary is the Maiden song I've heard most on fm radio. Alice Cooper would play it all the time on his show.

On a related note, I was surprised to find how well MTV supported Maiden when the channel first started. Yes - I know - MTV doesn't really play music anymore, but back when the channel first launched it was hugely influential. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_music_videos_aired_on_MTV (list of the first 200 videos played on MTV, number on the left is the position in the first videos played)) :

"Iron Maiden"Iron Maiden
From the band's Live at the Rainbow video. "Iron Maiden" was also the first heavy metal song shown on MTV.

"Wrathchild"Iron Maiden
"Wrathchild"Iron Maiden
"Wrathchild"Iron Maiden
"Wrathchild"Iron Maiden

We can learn two things from this; 1) Maiden were the first metal band played on MTV, and 2) Wrathchild has always been overplayed ;-)

Do Metallica songs from the 80's get any radio airplay in the USA compared to Maiden tunes?

Up until Justice ... and outside of specialty metal shows or in the middle of the night, not really .. at least not where I lived. One got a bit of airplay, but hardly any (a shorter version of the song). The Black Album was the first one that got any regular play at all. I think I heard Master of Puppets on a rock station once .. and that was pretty late.

Not that Maiden got a lot of play, but Icarus and Run to the Hills would get played on an infrequent basis (again, outside of specialty shows). But Maiden never got anything near the play the Black album songs did.

When I was a radio DJ back in 2010, I randomly played various album cuts... and I played like half of TFF on air when it was new, mostly from YouTube, because we didn't have it in the database yet back then. :D Actually, when El Dorado dropped (which must have been around June, IIRC), I played it almost immediately, from YouTube as well :)

Hard rock radio in LA, Tucson, Salt Lake, and Chicago played Puppets, all the Black Album songs, Bell, Fade to Black, etc on pretty regular rotation.

Back