Maiden on the radio

Finnish rock stations play Maiden all the time. And not just Run to the Hills, all the classics from 1982-1982.

Now now, they play Trooper and Fear of the Dark a fair bit too. Actually I think The Trooper might have RTTH beat in playtime overall.
Oh damnit, I meant 1982-1992. According to my phone app, the most played Maiden songs this year are Aces High, FOTD and 2MTM.

Yup, the biggest Finnish rock radio, cleverly titled (*drum roll* ) Radio Rock, gives biggest Maiden classics a couple of spins on a daily basis. Another rather big station, Radio City, even throws some rather obscure stuff into the mix every now and then. From Here to Eternity (yeah, it was a single, but given that there are plenty of real AC/DC songs to go choose instead... :p) being one of the prime examples.

One of the weirdest Maiden & radio moments was several years ago, when Radio Rock was doing "100 best rock albums" ranking and on the side, they also touched albums that didn't make it to the top 100, but definitely deserve some regocnition. Sevent Son and if I'm not horribly mistaken, probably DoD too, were part of the latter category, and some randomly picked listeners' comments around that topic made it to the broadcast... and those comments brought up Only The Good Die Young and Age of Innocence as some, if not the very, best Maiden songs ever. Only The Good Die Young is plausible enough, but it'd be interesting to hear the Maiden ranking by the other fellow... :D Anyway, both "best Maiden songs ever" got played back to back in that broadcast.

Only The Good Die Young and Age of Innocence. Probably the weirdest and coolest "Maiden on radio" moment ever?

Last edited:
Yup, the biggest Finnish rock radio, cleverly titled (*drum roll* ) Radio Rock, gives biggest Maiden classics a couple of spins on a daily basis. Another rather big station, Radio City, even throws some rather obscure stuff into the mix every now and then. From Here to Eternity (yeah, it was a single, but given that there are plenty of real AC/DC songs to go choose instead... :p) being one of the prime examples.
Radio City has some odd fascination with Bring Your Daughter too. I've heard them play it countless times. I don't know what's up with that but it's weird considering what a forgotten single it is and what a forgotten album NPFTD on the whole is.

Radio City has some odd fascination with Bring Your Daughter too. I've heard them play it countless times. I don't know what's up with that but it's weird considering what a forgotten single it is and what a forgotten album NPFTD on the whole is.

Maiden's and indeed Metal's only Number One single is hardly forgotten.

I'm surprised that Rush Limbaugh has so seldom had "Age of Innocence" played on air despite its lyrics...

Last edited:
Recently my Dad was in the market for a new car and went on a few test drives. He got inside an Audi and turned it on. The radio came on and the song playing was Two Minutes to Midnight. That was the moment that he knew "this is the car."

Recently my Dad was in the market for a new car and went on a few test drives. He got inside an Audi and turned it on. The radio came on and the song playing was Two Minutes to Midnight. That was the moment that he knew "this is the car."
Tell your dad about me and see if he likes me. Tell him i'm "cool" and do "cool things with cool people." I'll wait.

Edit: Also to make this post on topic: I live in an area called "The Great Hampton Roads" in the Southeast Virginia. Our radio sucks but sometimes one might hear a song like Run to the Hills, The Number of the Beast, or Wasted Years on the otherwise interminable radio.

Edit: Also to make this post on topic: I live in an area called "The Great Hampton Roads" in the Southeast Virginia. Our radio sucks but sometimes one might hear a song like Run to the Hills, The Number of the Beast, or Wasted Years on the otherwise interminable radio.
What radio stations do you listen to? From my experience the best one is 106.9 The Fox but it doesn’t actually play Maiden, at least not that I’ve heard.

What radio stations do you listen to? From my experience the best one is 106.9 The Fox but it doesn’t actually play Maiden, at least not that I’ve heard.
I never listen to the radio unless I'm in someone else's car. It'll usually be FM99, or whatever station BOB FM is because they play some cool 80s shit like The Cure that I still like. But the moment some Creed sounding shit comes on, I'd rather listen to classical. I'm thankful that my car has a USB thumb drive slot and I have every Maiden studio and live album on there, among other bands like Mastodon, Enslaved, Ihsahn, Ghost, Killing Joke, etc.

Aye, I haven’t listened to much radio in a while. FM99 is pretty good, they play a lot of nice alt / hard rock songs.

Back