Maiden on the radio

soundwave

Educated Fool
Question for you guys -

1) Do you ever hear Maiden on your local rock station?
2)If so, do they ever play anything other than Run to the Hills?

I get really frustrated in my area. There are only certain bands (AC/DC, Zep, Metallica, Aerosmith, Pearl Jam etc..) that have more than one song in the playlist rotation, and sadly Maiden isn't one of them...

Friend of mine heard Speed of Light on the shitfest that passes for the local classic rock radio station in September.

I wish I even had a local rock station. The only local radio for me plays no rock at all other than Bon Jovi and Queen, with only the megahits from either.

I don't think we even have local rock stations (UK). There are a few national ones, and they play Maiden from time to time.

1) Yes.
2) Yes.

We have two rock station, both of them decent. They play Maiden songs relatively often and Run to the Hills is quite rare. By contrast, we had Speed of Light on a daily basis around the release of the album. I occasionally hear The Red and The Black or The Book of Souls too. Of course, songs like The Number of the Beast, The Trooper and Wasted Love are also present.

I once heard The Number of the Beast on a late night radio request show because some LC called in and requested it.

We don't have a rock radio station but there's a one hour rock show on one of the national ones. Only once a week and I believe they play Maiden quite often. I know that they ran a Maiden special leading up to the TBOS release.

Last edited:
1) Yes.
2) Yes.

We have two rock station, both of them decent. They play Maiden songs relatively often and Run to the Hills is quite rare. By contrast, we had Speed of Light on a daily basis around the release of the album. I occasionally hear The Red and The Black or The Book of Souls too. Of course, songs like The Number of the Beast, The Trooper and Wasted Love are also present.

Wow! Book of Souls and The Red and the Black? Are they the normal album versions? Or some type of radio edit? The longest songs that I've heard on my local station are ...And Justice for All and Kashmir.

Just the normal album versions. But, similar to what Sixes said, it happened around the time of the release. They are not the most radio-friendly tracks out there, so naturally Speed of Light would be the most played TBOS track.

When BNW came out I heard The Wicker Man on the radio in Chicago once.

When I lived in Tucson I heard Bring Your Daughter...To The Slaughter on the radio during the syndicated Dee Snider show.

That is all I've ever heard of Maiden on the radio.

Forgot about that. BBC Radio 6, who broadcast it, are more Maiden and non-mainstream friendly. Bruce did a run of hosting a show on BBC Radio 2 as well, although I've never heard any of that.

Forgot about that. BBC Radio 6, who broadcast it, are more Maiden and non-mainstream friendly. Bruce did a run of hosting a show on BBC Radio 2 as well, although I've never heard any of that.

Must be this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/mastersofrock/biography.shtml

You can check the playlists and what he played from each show..but the "listen again" feature doesn't seem to work. Also this show was just an hour. His Friday Rock Show was like 3 hours.

Beyond specialty metal/rock stations/shows, Run to the Hills is all I have heard on the radio ... though it is pretty rare that I actually listen to music on the radio anymore

though it is pretty rare that I actually listen to music on the radio anymore

I pretty much never listen to the radio. Unless I'm at a place where the radio is blaring or I'm told by someone to remember to check something out on the radio at X time.

Also for metal I think internet radio stations would be the place to go...but as far as discovering new stuff/getting recommendations from listening to the radio...no way. Blogs, review sites, social media etc has completely taken over.

I pretty much never listen to the radio. Unless I'm at a place where the radio is blaring or I'm told by someone to remember to check something out on the radio at X time.

Exactly, Spotify is pretty much my radio now. In the 80s, there was Headbangers Ball on MTV, the local rock station would play a lot of hard rock/metal at night and had a show on the weekends that was new stuff from rock/metal bands. They played 7th Son in its entirety when it first came out. which was really cool. If I would venture close enough to LA, KNAC played good stuff.

I suppose satellite radio is really about the main option now for hard rock/metal in most of the US. The rock stations pretty much play classic rock and the same songs over and over and over again.

Headbangers Ball on MTV

I used to sneak out of bed and into the living room to watch Headbangers Wall when it was broadcast around midnight until 2:AM here when I was around 13-15. Always ready to record to VHS if some awesome music video or live report came on ;)

I used to sneak out of bed and into the living room to watch Headbangers Wall when it was broadcast around midnight until 2:AM here when I was in my pre-teen, teenage years. Always ready to record to VHS if some awesome music video or live report came on ;)

I taped it pretty much every week, then would hook one VCR to another to make a favorite videos tape. That was a cool show

Back