Maiden on the radio

In between the same late nineties/early 2000s rock songs that they play every fucking day, Absolute Radio play a bit of Maiden, mostly by request or as part of their Classic Rock Party on a Saturday night. RTTH is the most common, but Madness, Beast and Wasted Years aren't unheard of on that station.

Somewhat unsurprisingly, the deepest Maiden cuts I heard on the radio were courtesy of Bruce's Friday Rock Show on BBC Radio 6, that was where I heard Brighter Than A Thousand Suns for the first time. Hard to believe that was ten years ago. :huh:

Holy shit! My crummy local rock station still does play Maiden once in a great while. I checked their playlist and RTTH was played a few hours ago.

In my country I never hear Maiden on the radio, but last year I went on vacation on the US and heard RTTH, TNOB and Flight Of Icarus

In my country I never hear Maiden on the radio, but last year I went on vacation on the US and heard RTTH, TNOB and Flight Of Icarus
Where did you go on vacation? I wonder what station that was and if it was during normal programming hours or a special program. Either way, that's pretty cool!

My local rock station (Eastern Canada) plays Maiden between 2 and 5 times a month, almost exclusively during the Saturday night all request show.

Tracks played: Aces High, Number of the Beast, the Trooper, Run to the Hills, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Can I Play With Madness, and Wasted Years.

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 9.57.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-24 at 10.04.04 AM.png

One of the Finnish rock radio stations has been playing Brave New World this week, giving a bit of background and info on each song when playing them. It's a part of their "the best rock albums of the early 2000s" promo thing that they're doing, a 20 album list that was voted on by the listeners. IIRC they go through an album song-by-song in parts each week so it's safe to say this is probably the most airplay BNW as a whole has seen on Finnish radio! Out of the Silent Planet is playing right now.

e: Actually, let me retcon that a bit. Apparently they've been playing a song a day, so that's five songs this week. Why they decided that replaying the same segment like six times a day is a good idea (instead of having two different ones each day) and how they landed on the songs they picked is a mystery to me, but there you go.

Last edited:
One of the Finnish rock radio stations has been playing Brave New World this week, giving a bit of background and info on each song when playing them. It's a part of their "the best rock albums of the early 2000s" promo thing that they're doing, a 20 album list that was voted on by the listeners. IIRC they go through an album song-by-song in parts each week so it's safe to say this is probably the most airplay BNW as a whole has seen on Finnish radio! Out of the Silent Planet is playing right now.

e: Actually, let me retcon that a bit. Apparently they've been playing a song a day, so that's five songs this week. Why they decided that replaying the same segment like six times a day is a good idea (instead of having two different ones each day) and how they landed on the songs they picked is a mystery to me, but there you go.
But of course. The one damn week when I haven't been listening to radio.

Tonight Planet Rock will be playing 'Live After Death' in full. This is a weekly thing where they play a classic album in its entirety and, since there is no live music, they are doing a live album each week for the time being. It's at 11pm UK time for whoever is able to listen. You could just play the album on CD or Spotify anyway of course.

'Empire of the Clouds' is on Planet Rock right now. :lol:

Planet Rock is a very good radio station and I listen it online quite often (and I’m not from Britain).
Here you can see its entire playlist daily:
https://onlineradiobox.com/uk/planetrock/playlist/?lang=en

It seems PR plays at least 3 Maiden tunes per day and the tunes are from all eras, not just from 80s. Yesterday five Maiden songs are played.
One thing I find very surprising about Planet Rock is that it never plays Scorpions (since they are a big rock band).

Last edited:
Just gonna resurrect this to say today on account of Good Friday (known as Long Friday here) one of the rock stations has only been playing long songs that usually wouldn't get much radio airplay, and they just fired off The Longest Day. Definitely by far the rarest Maiden track I've ever heard on the radio since this is the first time I've heard them play it. Inspired choice too since they could've just played a longer 80s song instead.

Inspired choice too since they could've just played a longer 80s song instead.
Case in point: they're playing Seventh Son now. Not that I'm complaining, it's really cool to hear songs that are never in regular rotation otherwise. I only wish they'd do more of this type of programming instead of just relying on the usual done to death playlist rotation with a few specialty programs a week being the only thing that breaks the mold.

e: Looked at the previously played listing and good lord. Empire of the Clouds, Journeyman, The Man Who Would Be King, Shadows of the Valley and When the Wild Wind Blows. Pure radio material, in other words!

Last edited:
We had a classic rock station get sold and re-adapted into a Christian channel here in Chicago. The second-to-last song they played under the classic rock format? Number of the Beast. Think it was all devil/hell stuff on their last day. :D

Back