Maiden England Tour 2012/2013!

I was in the pit for Mayhem Festival a few years back (where moshing happens constantly) the same ampitheatre where I will be seeing Maiden and I actually saw quite a good part of the stage. I don't really have any intent on getting as close to the barrier as possible, but it would be very cool to catch a pick or a drumstick. hahaha

Yeah, at the Chicago show I saw Nicko throw one of his "drumheads" (?) into the crowd, and two people managed to get a hand on it at the same time. I watched them for the next several seconds while they tried getting each other off of it. I would hate to be in that situation.

I've caught drumsticks and such in the past but having 4-5 people also have a hand to it I can't say I've ever kept a hold of it. Not sure how tough drumheads are but I'd be afraid of ripping it in half :p Usually things either go miles away from me, or to someone just to the side.. had near misses with scorpions/priest drumsticks, hands onto lordi/turisas but lost them, used to have a roger taylor drumstick but lost it moving house >.< The only thing I have now is Blackie Lawless plectrum.

people's lackluster attitude toward Seventh Son live. I mean, I had a blast through the entire 9-10 minute song, because not only is it one of my favorite songs ever, but it is also the first (and probably only) time I was to see it live. And it amazed me how no one was was acknowledging it, or something. It's almost as if they didn't know what they were witnessing (ie, not TRUE fans).

I don't get this attitude. Im an intravert, so never headbang/sing/jump/mosh. I usually stand back at the sound desk for good sound and watch the guitar playing as much as possible. This may look 'lackluster', but it doesn't mean im not a true fan. Then again, maybe im just getting old!

people's lackluster attitude toward Seventh Son live. I mean, I had a blast through the entire 9-10 minute song, because not only is it one of my favorite songs ever, but it is also the first (and probably only) time I was to see it live. And it amazed me how no one was was acknowledging it, or something. It's almost as if they didn't know what they were witnessing (ie, not TRUE fans).

I don't get this attitude. Im an intravert, so never headbang/sing/jump/mosh. I usually stand back at the sound desk for good sound and watch the guitar playing as much as possible. This may look 'lackluster', but it doesn't mean im not a true fan. Then again, maybe im just getting old!

Well, I'm young (18-years-old), and I'm the same. I do sing along, but I don't jump around or headbang or go crazy or anything. It's just not part of my personality. I cry sometimes, though, like I cried yesterday when I saw Slash at the Hard Rock Cafe (bragging).

We just all have different ways of enjoying the show.

Well, I'm young (18-years-old), and I'm the same. I do sing along, but I don't jump around or headbang or go crazy or anything. It's just not part of my personality. I cry sometimes, though, like I cried yesterday when I saw Slash at the Hard Rock Cafe (bragging).

We just all have different ways of enjoying the show.

I absolutely agree. And I have no issue with the audience giving it socks - unless it affects me negatively of course. But it is a case of each to their own, and it would be silly to say that you enjoyed a gig more than some one else because you sweated more than them!

I don't think you need to jump around and shout (although I will usually screw my voice up for a few days), but the people who are looking at the floor the whole time do kinda confuse me. My arms usually get tired from being held up, but I don't 'mosh', I will usually be focused on a guitarist. I have also been known to cry at certain gigs in certain songs due to the emotions they can provoke (rather than "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M HERE")

I find moshes nonsensical (doing moshes at a concert is no different than doing pushups at home while listening to some tunes) and the guys who headbang just to be seen headbanging rather than actually enjoying music insincere.

I've actually been to only one show my whole life, it was last year when I saw Iron Maiden. I acted exactly the same as I do when I'm home and listening to the songs. I knew all the lyrics but I didn't sing-along to whole song because that would ruin the show for the guys near me. (I'm not a horrible singer but they pay money to hear Bruce, not me) I participated in the appropriate parts and that's the way to go, I believe.

It was a great experience for me.

I find moshes nonsensical (doing moshes at a concert is no different than doing pushups at home while listening to some tunes) and the guys who headbang just to be seen headbanging rather than actually enjoying music insincere.

I've actually been to only one show my whole life, it was last year when I saw Iron Maiden. I acted exactly the same as I do when I'm home and listening to the songs. I knew all the lyrics but I didn't sing-along to whole song because that would ruin the show for the guys near me. (I'm not a horrible singer but they pay money to hear Bruce, not me) I participated in the appropriate parts and that's the way to go, I believe.

It was a great experience for me.

I know what you mean about 'other people singing' - in my experience screaming. I saw Maiden in Twickenham 2008, and I was up in the nosebleeds. The 2 teenage girls beside me insisted on screaming after every song. It was that high pitched ear wrenching inappropriate scream that had no benefit to anyone.

I'm hope to see them in at the Molson Amphitheatre Toronto on Friday night.

Question: Have physical/paper tickets been issued for this show? I was only looking for cheap seats (e.g. the lawn section), or is that paperless as well? I saw them at the same venue back in 2010, and finding scalpers back then wasn't a problem.:D

Thanks in advance.

I'm hope to see them in at the Molson Amphitheatre Toronto on Friday night.

Question: Have physical/paper tickets been issued for this show? I was only looking for cheap seats (e.g. the lawn section), or is that paperless as well? I saw them at the same venue back in 2010, and finding scalpers back then wasn't a problem.:D

Thanks in advance.
As far as I know lawn section tickets are still paper tickets.

... I acted exactly the same as I do when I'm home and listening to the songs.

Headbanging during "headbangable parts" can certainly attributes to the pleasure. At live concerts when the band is there -for real! (not reproduced from the stereo set)- surely brings other energy, or call it magic even. Not letting the body participate, like all these differences never happened, that doesn't happen often.

I am glad you still enjoyed the concert, but I can't imagine how you can enjoy it more than when playing it at home, when you also act the same.

Headbanging during "headbangable parts" can certainly attributes to the pleasure. At live concerts when the band is there -for real! (not reproduced from the stereo set)- surely brings other energy, or call it magic even. Not letting the body participate, like all these differences never happened, that doesn't happen often.

I am glad you still enjoyed the concert, but I can't imagine how you can enjoy it more than when playing it at home, when you also act the same.

I didn't know that not headbanging equals to not letting the body participate. The only body move at shows is headbanging, you say ? Not shaking the head, but headbanging ? Headbanging makes me dizzy, that's why I never do that myself. But I also have a hard time understanding the massive headbang guys at shows. You simply can't hear the music cleanly when you do that.

I see the band playing there, that's the difference. Just like you've said. That's the magic of the live shows, it feels like the band has come to the place just to let you hear their music live, and that's an awesome feeling. I don't think I need to express my feelings inside.

Until now I had the impression that you were not moving at all. And yes, I can still hear music while headbanging.

More important, I can feel the music very well when doing that.

I act differently at concerts than I would at home (or car), except for the singing part. I generally sing along to my favorite songs, even at home. I don't dance/move around nearly as much as concerts because there simply isn't enough room to do so (and people would think I was crazy)!

Headbanging and me have never really mixed well. The best I can do is a head "bob" in time to the music. Plus, I just don't have the hair for head banging anymore. When I go to live events, I like to participate in the way the band enjoys. It's very obvious that Maiden (and especially Bruce, as the frontman) enjoys crowd participation at the shows. So I do my best to scream at the appropriate times and sing along, chant, etc. when it's warranted. You're not going to drown out Bruce's voice or the rest of the band for that matter. I go to live events to be able to let go, and that means devil horns, screams, and fist pumping through most of a heavy metal event. The one thing I haven't seen much in recent years (and am happy to see go) is crowd surfing and stage diving. I don't see much moshing, either, as it seems like a lot of venues have cracked down on it. With smaller venues, I've seen a lot of bad behavior (aggressive moshing, people jumping on stage, bottle throwing), but the bigger places generally have more control. Some of the smaller venues I've been to are pretty much lacking any sort of management or security, and as a result, I tend to avoid going there, even if I'm interested in the band.

I will have to say that when I saw The Musical Box (Genesis recreation band) perform Foxtrot a few years back, and two guys talked through the majority of the show. It didn't ruin the event for me, but it though it was kind of in bad taste since the show is really a mix of theater and live music rather than just a concert. With Maiden, however, you aren't going to really be able to have a conversation over the music. Really the only thing that seriously bugs me is the person who'll keep screaming the name of the band's most popular song over and over (i.e. "Play Freebird!!!") I've never experienced it at a Maiden concert, but I have with other bands, especially at festivals.

Alright, it took me some time to actually write about my experience on the tour.

First, here's the setlist
Good setlist, in my opinion. While many people seemed to find SSOASS and Phantom of the Opera to be "Weakpoints" of the show, I very much disagree. I am so glad I could see them live. Personally, my weak point was the Clairvoyant. It's not a song I ever really liked. Very happy to see Afraid to shoot strangers live as well although it lacked the punch it has on audio but I don't complain!

I went to 2 venues on this tour: Québec City on July 8th and Montreal on the 11th. The old Pepsi Center in Québec city could house 9000 fans and it was pretty much full when the show began. The crowd was very much into it, 80+% of the people had Maiden shirts some had apparently seen dozens of Maiden shows whilst some others dated from the Final Frontier Tour. One thing I quickly Noticed: Dave Murray's attitude. Not to say it was bad in 2010, but this time around he did play his Number of the beast and Fear of the Dark solos which he barely did last time around. As for Janick, he seemed even younger than last time, playing devious solos and throwing his guitar finding even new ways to do it.

Bruce's voice was also a lot stronger, much more sound than air this time around. Of course, he couldn't pull Aces High completely but it's not an issue comparing to the rest of the show. Everyone in the band seemed very happy to be doing this setlist and it was easy to tell.

Bruce stopped often to talk to the crowd (More than he usually does). While in 2010 he called Quebec city the ''Heart of the Metal'', this time 'round he liked to compare us with his Ottawa show (couple days prior) saying big thanks for being less sleepy than Ottawa not sure exactly how he worded it but that's what it ended up like.

People stayed for a while hoping for a second encore but we didn't have this luck. Does Maiden ever do second encores anyway? Overall, this first Maiden show for this year was great. I could hardly ask for more ( well I do ask for a better amphitheater since this one is about to collapse)

I then waited a couple of days, moved over to Montreal. Well, that was a blast. Maiden are professionals, yes, but when the crowd is dull, sitting all night long and even arriving LATE (most of them missed Alice Cooper's great opening) I'm guessing it gets a bit harder on morale. Bruce barely even spoke and the running free outro seemed especially short. The ambiance was terrible. There was a lot of ''Noise'' but this is typical from the bell centre; it's a recent amphitheatre and the acoustic is much better than in Quebec city. The crowd was so dull, I almost got in a fight for daring "Stand up" in an Iron Maiden show. Forget any headbanging or anything, I was just standing feeling so ashamed to be one of 4 people standing (friends of mine) in a section seating a thousand people.

So I must say, that Quebec city show was great, Montreal terrible but can't blame Maiden for it. Really, if you are one hesitating to go see a show on this tour, don't miss your shot everyone I spoke to says it's one of the best they've seen so far, many citing it as the best ever in a city (Quebec city) with a long Iron Maiden history; some having seen the band 18 times now.

I then waited a couple of days, moved over to Montreal. Well, that was a blast. Maiden are professionals, yes, but when the crowd is dull, sitting all night long and even arriving LATE (most of them missed Alice Cooper's great opening) I'm guessing it gets a bit harder on morale. Bruce barely even spoke and the running free outro seemed especially short. The ambiance was terrible. There was a lot of ''Noise'' but this is typical from the bell centre; it's a recent amphitheatre and the acoustic is much better than in Quebec city. The crowd was so dull, I almost got in a fight for daring "Stand up" in an Iron Maiden show. Forget any headbanging or anything, I was just standing feeling so ashamed to be one of 4 people standing (friends of mine) in a section seating a thousand people.

So I must say, that Quebec city show was great, Montreal terrible but can't blame Maiden for it. Really, if you are one hesitating to go see a show on this tour, don't miss your shot everyone I spoke to says it's one of the best they've seen so far, many citing it as the best ever in a city (Quebec city) with a long Iron Maiden history; some having seen the band 18 times now.

Why do they even go? Heavy metal isn't made for sitting still. It is made to get you pumped up and ready for action. I can simply not grasp how anyone can remain sitting on their arse at a heavy metal concert. Not even if the band was bad.

To me, going to a metal concert is a good way of letting off steam, pretty much like going to a football match. I could not imagine just sitting still without getting involved, calmly discussing the songs/the match with the people next to me. When at a metal show, I move, jump, and sing along to the music. When at a football match, I shout to encourage the players of the team I support, and to disencourage the opposition. (The analogy is a little flawed, because I can go to a football match as a neutral - and then I would not be as involved - but you get the picture).

So if I were at that Montreal show and in your section, there would be five people standing instead of four :D

You are right, I totally agree. Let's be clear however: The standing people were at the Montreal venue, not the Quebec one. In Quebec, everyone was standing even for most of Alice Cooper's opening.

Back