Lightning Strikes Twice

How good is Lightning Strikes Twice on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
My only real problems with this song are the same problems I have with every song: lack of energy due to production/drumming and bad guitar tones. That aside, this is a cool song. A haunting melody to start with and a really great buildup. Blaze sounds OK here too. The chorus is repetitive but it works reasonably well here. They do a good job building up to it.

A bit like many songs on the previous XFactor, good intro, promising bridge then horribly amateurish chorus and repetitive backing riff.

5/10

Lightning Strikes Twice is Dave Murray’s first writing credit since Fear of the Dark and, like most Murray songs, it opens with some emotional guitar wailing and somber chords before launching into a powerful, heavy verse. It’s a decent song, though after The Angel and the Gambler literally anything would sound like a classic. The music is great, but the production and Blaze’s phrasing robs the song of power. The drums lack punch. You can barely hear the kick drum at all. The turnaround before the chorus (“The whole sky glows” section) should have been incredibly dynamic, but thanks to the sterile production it comes off as just another passage with little fanfare. Not to mention, Blaze should have overdubbed the chorus because as it is it sounds like he’s choking on every “strikes twice.” Meh, indeed.

Lots of people seem to love the intro. I don't care for it too much. What I do like, however, is what happens when the song really gets going. The chorus is great, it feels as though a storm really is brewing, and overall it's rather enjoyable. 7/10.

5/10

Lightning Strikes Twice is Dave Murray’s first writing credit since Fear of the Dark and, like most Murray songs, it opens with some emotional guitar wailing and somber chords before launching into a powerful, heavy verse. It’s a decent song, though after The Angel and the Gambler literally anything would sound like a classic. The music is great, but the production and Blaze’s phrasing robs the song of power. The drums lack punch. You can barely hear the kick drum at all. The turnaround before the chorus (“The whole sky glows” section) should have been incredibly dynamic, but thanks to the sterile production it comes off as just another passage with little fanfare. Not to mention, Blaze should have overdubbed the chorus because as it is it sounds like he’s choking on every “strikes twice.” Meh, indeed.

you wot m8

football-hooligan-training-camp-for-kids4.jpg

A 6 here. Starts off perfect, the synths work perfectly to mirror the approaching storm as in the lyrics, but the chorus is a real letdown and Blaze sounds awful on it. The solos are nice though. By far the weakest track on the album.

Last edited:
The intro and first part of the song are nice, but I don’t like the chorus at all, and the guitar becomes too repetitive towards the end. 5/10

8/10
I love this song. The chorus could have been better/less repetitive (also the 'strikestwice' does sound a bit awkward), but it only appears for the first time at more than halfway through the song. It's not any longer than it needs to be, it doesn't stop being interesting. That always makes me want to relisten after it's ended.

Decent musical opening. Blaze sounds awful on the intro with weird pronunciation and inconsistent delivery, but sounds a lot better when the verse gets harder.

The pre-chorus starts off kind of flat, and Blaze sounds rushed and out of key during that part. The music does pick up nicely and builds up well to the chorus, where unfortunately Blaze tries to double the guitar and sounds like complete shit on the "strikes twice" lyric. This is probably just as much Steve's fault as it is Blaze's. They should have considered a group vocal for that part instead of trying to ram Blaze straight through it.

The solos are pretty good, and the interlude is serviceable, if not very interesting. Then we're back to that abortion of a chorus, and a quick pre-chorus reprise to finish things off.

This could have been a good song, but Blaze's vocal shortcomings and Steve's tendency to write unsingable lines drive this one a bit off the rails. 5/10.

Reactions: Gk1
The chorus is the only part I remember from this song without re-listening but it's pretty nice after I do, so I guess this is the song a fourgettable is most appropriate to :p

I don't even think that Nick played in the album at all. This song and album suffer so much regarding the drums. It is as if Steve got rid of all the drum fills in the finishing touches of the the whole production process

Back