1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightning Strikes Twice

Discussion in 'Virtual XI' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2004.

?

How good is Lightning Strikes Twice on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

11.8%
  2. 9

14.7%
  3. 8

17.6%
  4. 7

32.4%
  5. 6

8.8%
  6. 5

11.8%
  7. 4

2.9%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

My only real problems with this song are the same problems I have with every song: lack of energy due to production/drumming and bad guitar tones. That aside, this is a cool song. A haunting melody to start with and a really great buildup. Blaze sounds OK here too. The chorus is repetitive but it works reasonably well here. They do a good job building up to it.

2. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

A bit like many songs on the previous XFactor, good intro, promising bridge then horribly amateurish chorus and repetitive backing riff.

3. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

One of the first Iron Maiden songs I've ever heard. Still love it. 7/10.

4. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

5/10

Lightning Strikes Twice is Dave Murray’s first writing credit since Fear of the Dark and, like most Murray songs, it opens with some emotional guitar wailing and somber chords before launching into a powerful, heavy verse. It’s a decent song, though after The Angel and the Gambler literally anything would sound like a classic. The music is great, but the production and Blaze’s phrasing robs the song of power. The drums lack punch. You can barely hear the kick drum at all. The turnaround before the chorus (“The whole sky glows” section) should have been incredibly dynamic, but thanks to the sterile production it comes off as just another passage with little fanfare. Not to mention, Blaze should have overdubbed the chorus because as it is it sounds like he’s choking on every “strikes twice.” Meh, indeed.

5. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Gott Mit Uns

Lots of people seem to love the intro. I don't care for it too much. What I do like, however, is what happens when the song really gets going. The chorus is great, it feels as though a storm really is brewing, and overall it's rather enjoyable. 7/10.

6. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

you wot m8

[​IMG]

7. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

Terrible, isn't it? This and saying Primus were boring. Disgraceful stuff from the Knickersman...