Lightning Strikes Twice

How good is Lightning Strikes Twice on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I don't see the problem with that grade? I assumed the score was an addition to the comments, providing a sort of baseline for the words. A song could feel like a 7 overall and you like to point out what the good things are but maybe don't have too much to say about the shortcomings? Just a thought.

Well interesting thoughts from all of you!
@Forostar ; I think one of the "problems" here is that Flight of Icarus and Can I Play With Madness are on what is generally seen as two of the bands greatest and most classic albums while Lightning Strikes Twice is on Virtual XI who is generally looked upon as one of the bands low-marks. I think both these songs are equally as good as Lightning, but for an example Flight Of Icarus feels like a small let-down after the brilliant Revelations while Lightning feels like a relief after the not-so-good The Angel And The Gambler. Therefore the reviews can look like they sometimes don't match the score.

@stannar_kvar . Yes, sometimes you want to point out somethings and sometimes you don't. In some songs which are considered good there is nothing new to say, and it just feels repetitive so praise the song exactly like everyone else. So in this case you want to move the focus to other, lesser things in the song. And the other way around if it's a song that's considered worser. (Are you swedish by the way?)

I don't see the problem with that grade? I assumed the score was an addition to the comments, providing a sort of baseline for the words. A song could feel like a 7 overall and you like to point out what the good things are but maybe don't have too much to say about the shortcomings? Just a thought.
I honestly thought Eddieson didn't see shortcomings here. Usually he mentions them in his reviews.

I rather see people mentioning them if they want others to understand their judgement better.

The grades are given to individual songs. I am of the opinion that all grades given to all Maiden songs should be given in relation to each other. If not, it's going to be hard to understand someone's judgement. So, if I read that song A is the worst from album X and song B is the best from album Y, then I still don't know how much someone likes song A in relation to B.
How do I know that? By reading a review, or opinion. And by reading the grade.

Until now that wasn't clear, but Eddieson's last post cleared something things up.

@Eddieson if I understood well, your comments don't always say much about your judgment, but your grades are consequent (in relation to each other).

edit:

One more thing, did you mean you gave this song a 7 (partly) because it's on an album that is generally seen as a low-mark in the band's career? Bad albums can have good songs. I think that album bias should be kept to a minimum when judging an individual song. And general opinions are also matters that have nothing to do with this topic.

Last edited:
@Forostar Yes that is a way of putting it if you want to. The grades are consequent (they change over time, but how I see them at the moment) and they are based on my feelings to the songs during the 7-8 years I have listened to the band.

Sometimes the review can be inconsequent, but I try to get them as good as I can. Every song creates emotion and it isn't always easy to explain them in just a few sentences.

@Forostar
No, absolutely not! The grades have nothing to do with where the song comes from.
For an example I gave Sign Of The Cross a 10, while the album it is on isn't one of my favorites.

Appreciates that you read and reflects over my scores and reviews thou.

This was some really good reading on how you view scores and coments, as for me, I'm usally having big problems with grading things and comparing them this way. It feels kinda flat and often gives me a headache. For example, how do you compare a song that's brilliant if you don't listen to it too often but you have a tendency to get tired oF versus a song that always is good, but never great, but you could listen to more often?
Yes @Eddieson I'm from Sweden :)

@stannar_kvar Yes, comparing is hard, and I often feel bad for the songs I gave a low score. All songs are as children to me, and you are a horrible person if you treat your children differently. (Now I sound like a complete nerd :p )

Yes, that a problem. For an example I listed to The Number Of The Beast or The Trooper more often then I listen to The Clansman. It's easier and it's never the wrong time. But when I actually take the time to listen to The Clansman, I realize it's better. But I still going to listen to the first two songs more.

Härligt med fler svenska Maidenfans ;)

A song that starts out so nice, with Blaze sounding good, singing atmospheric lyrics and... after around 2 minutes they just throw everything out. YOLO! Now, it could have been saved with a great chorus - and they almost managed that, with the exception of a crucial mistake in a way too high vocal line that makes the whole thing fall way off target. The solos suffer from being played over the same bad riff they just ruined the song with - but the harmony-part after the solos is great.

This song is the best example there is of why Virtual XI could have been G.R.E.A.T. had it been more worked-through, at the hands of an experienced producer. The first 1:50 blows everything out of the water. Everything.

Härligt med fler svenska Maidenfans ;)

Hej, jag är en sköldpadda.

A variable song. The first 2 minutes are awesome. Not a big fan of the chorus. But in its variableness, still good.
7/10

8/10

Good live version from Johanneshov, Stockholm, Sweden, 8 000 people in attendance:

Last edited:
Back