Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Well I learned how to evade tasks convincingly.

True. Perfect place to do so. I didn't per ce. I was a real hard worker until I became the unofficial boss of the platoon at about the 3/4ths of my time (still a soldier but assigning the daily duties to others).

What I evade was punishment though: I was the typical guy an officer would consider a bad apple and punish repeatedly. But for the most of time officers didn't even realise and I finished my service with virtually clean record all without losing my integrity. By the time they did, it was easier for them to give me annual leaves for free to get rid of me as much as possible and keep others in control.

So yes in the army you learn to evade.
Not doing things is like a capital. The richest is the person who does nothing. The one others respect. No matter if you are a capable con man or your father is a MP, as long as you evade work visibly, you gain others' respect. I always liked that in army.

Below true dialogue captures in my opinion the essence of mandatory service:

Person 1: Did you have a good service?
Person 2: It was awesome man, I had a blast.
Person 1: Would you do it again?
Person 2: No re malaka, of course not!

@Diesel 11 , I quoted you here because I want more people to see this cover.

Great artwork. One of the reasons why ''metal'' is the best genre! Mystic and with sea warriors & creatures(!), just awesome. I like that the cover has a lot of details. I understand why they did it in grey, but I wish it was colored. It would have been epic.

I really want to see a ''sea themed'' album cover of Maiden - Eddie as an Atlantis king on his gold throne atop the city rising from the sea as the main cover and Eddie in the depths of the sea as the back cover. Imagine the details!!

@Diesel 11 , I quoted you here because I want more people to see this cover.

Great artwork. One of the reasons why ''metal'' is the best genre! Mystic and with sea warriors & creatures(!), just awesome. I like that the cover has a lot of details. I understand why they did it in grey, but I wish it was colored. It would have been epic.

I really want to see a ''sea themed'' album cover of Maiden - Eddie as an Atlantis king on his gold throne atop the city rising from the sea as the main cover and Eddie in the depths of the sea as the back cover. Imagine the details!!
Kalata you should listen to Ahab. You will not regret it.

Oh thank goodness, it's not just me who never considered him some sort of comic genius then. Was really disappointed when Maiden confirmed the Tears of a Clown /Robin Williams link. It sounded too much like the cheesy music legend worship stuff U2 got into in the Rattle and Hum era.

Thankfully I don't think that's how they/Steve meant it, although the laughing to hide the tears thing everyone cottoned on to didn't work very well anyway once more become known about Williams' illness and circumstances of his death.

Thankfully I don't think that's how they/Steve meant it, although the laughing to hide the tears thing everyone cottoned on to didn't work very well anyway once more become known about Williams' illness and circumstances of his death.
I think the song still holds up well. The line, “He had a longer way to run, or so the story goes,” hits harder after we learned what drove Williams’s suicide. His ‘longer way to run’ would’ve ended in about six months regardless. That really sucks. And even beyond the Williams connection, Steve makes his song work even divorced from that. Suicide is such a complicated issue and I think he crafted a song drenched in empathy for those suffering from yet masking their depression. His inspiration does not necessarily define the song. One of the best on TBOS IMO.

As for Robin himself, he was not a comic genius. He actually stole a lot of his jokes, although it’s agreed by most that this was uninentional; when he went onstage he never prepared his material and instead came up with stuff off the top of his head. This means that he would repeat lines he’d heard from other comedians without realizing it. So no, not a genius, but a great performer and presenter of comedy. His 2000s special(s?) are favorites of mine, and I think he was a great actor with numerous iconic roles that defined him more than even his standup.

Anyway, Carlin is still the GOAT and I will die on that hill.

I just find it odd that his death seemed to resonate so much with people of my generation, I think I've seen two of his films? Seemed a bit before my time, then again, so are Maiden and here I am.

I just find it odd that his death seemed to resonate so much with people of my generation, I think I've seen two of his films? Seemed a bit before my time, then again, so are Maiden and here I am.
He was great on Mork & Mindy, which was in reruns forever, and he had some pretty great dramatic roles in film too. I was less fond of his comedic films.

re: Robin Williams - ironically, for a long, long time the image that came to my mind when thinking of him was that of the crying clown. The reason being that his films were on the one hand zany and goofy and all that, but they always took such an unbearable sentimental turn. I just never understood why I couldn't just go see a funny movie without it pounding in some message about how we need to realise what's really important in our lives or something like that. Williams never seemed like a genuine funny man to me, but actually as a deeply sad person who got his self-worth from making other people laugh. And what I felt from seeing his films was hardly ever amusement, but just pity. That his life ended in such a tragic term seemed so logical from this.

Tears of a Clown on the other hand is still an excellent song, even if you detach it from the precise Robin Williams topic, because it accurately conveys the view of someone who's known a depressive, suicidal person and was entirely clueless until the mask broke. What I admire the song for most is that it would have been so easy to turn this topic into a cheesy string-and-keyboard ballad, but H opted to write a classic, if mid-tempo heavy metal song.

I was really worried after The Final Frontier that Maiden had turned entirely towards stereotypical songwriting tropes, but on the last two albums they managed to be as fresh and surprising as never before, and TOAC is a perfect example for this.

Back