Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

So you have enough money for the rest of your life ?
Theoretically, if there isn’t some really long-term cataclysm in the U.S. market that never fully recovers, and health insurance costs don’t spiral so far out of control that even a very risk-averse plan can’t withstand the increases. I suppose long-term high inflation would sink me if it happened, too.

But hey, nothing is certain in life, and my chances of success are high enough that I’m comfortable taking the leap now. We’ll see what happens.

Theoretically, if there isn’t some really long-term cataclysm in the U.S. market that never fully recovers, and health insurance costs don’t spiral so far out of control that even a very risk-averse plan can’t withstand the increases. I suppose long-term high inflation would sink me if it happened, too.

But hey, nothing is certain in life, and my chances of success are high enough that I’m comfortable taking the leap now. We’ll see what happens.
Good for you then, and good luck.

And are you planning to just enjoy retirement or you are willing to engage in some other hard (effort demanding) & time consuming activities ?

Good for you then, and good luck.
Thanks.

And are you planning to just enjoy retirement or you are willing to engage in some other hard (effort demanding) & time consuming activities ?
For the time being I just want to enjoy the lack of structure and responsibility. I have a backlog of stuff to do around the house and yard that I’m now out of excuses for not doing, and I have a deep backlog of movies, TV shows, books, and games to catch up on.

After I get past the initial no responsibility binge there will probably be more travel for a while, and then who knows. But I doubt I’d do any kind of structured corporate work again. Too soul-crushing once you get above a certain level.

First congratulations, it's quite a success to retire so early. I'm sure it's well deserved.

But I doubt I’d do any kind of structured corporate work again. Too soul-crushing once you get above a certain level.

I agree with every single word of what's quoted.

Reactions: Jer
Thanks.

For the time being I just want to enjoy the lack of structure and responsibility. I have a backlog of stuff to do around the house and yard that I’m now out of excuses for not doing, and I have a deep backlog of movies, TV shows, books, and games to catch up on.

After I get past the initial no responsibility binge there will probably be more travel for a while, and then who knows. But I doubt I’d do any kind of structured corporate work again. Too soul-crushing once you get above a certain level.

I agree about corporate work. But if you want to keep your mental sharpness over time, I suggest to keep doing challenging stuff from time to time, for example reading books, learning new things.

I am not a doctor, but I noticed that people start loosing that sharpness when they stop doing hard stuff.

I agree about corporate work. But if you want to keep your mental sharpness over time, I suggest to keep doing challenging stuff from time to time, for example reading books, learning new things.
I always keep my mind busy with things, so that shouldn’t be an issue. And I can always get into a heated, pedantic argument on MaidenFans if I need more mental exercise!

No congrats from me, sorry. In general I don't really have respect for people retiring at such a ridiculous low age (if in good health).

Good luck, nonetheless, Jer. I'm sure you'll have lots to do, indeed.

Last edited:
Back