Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Gotta admit people 1,000+ years ago had style.

I mean, compare, for example,

"Pretty annoying staff meeting today, after an hour and a half of heated discussion on an important subject, featuring quite a few of angry and caustic comments (by yours truly mostly, I'm proud to report), and we have to meet again",
to
"Red wrath and scorn spiteful / unleashed in good measure
Decisions debated, the wise weary / another þing pending"

So, anyway, a quick update here from Judastown.

If everything works out we'll be moving very soon. From a flat in a city to a house in a small town, almost a village of sorts. Going to have an actual forest right behind our fence (it's one of the last houses before the woods begin).

Last week I started my Master's studies (I have been a Bachelor of Theology for almost a month now).

Working on a translation of Brideshead Revisited - the original Czech translation from the 90's is very ... loose and often completely wrong - just one example, when Charles is in the military in the Prologue, the translator turns Nissen hut into a "Finnish home" :facepalm:
If it works out and the proper people are going to like it, the book could get a second Czech edition, which I'd like very much.

Also, we were given a cabin with a leisure garden in our current city by wife's grandfather - in the garden colony. However, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes - it was in a terrible condition. Full of rubbish and the garden was so overgrown you couldn't actually even see the cabin nor could you even get to it. I spent several days in the summer heat just trying to cut through so there would be a passage. A lot of unpleasant odor, like I said, a lot of rubbish (and I mean rubbish, as in household waste) and so on. Now you can see the cabin and actually get to it, but the state's still terrible. We'll be selling it anyway, so that we can buy an actual house, but it was a rather frustrating experience.

The kids are teething, but otherwise awesome - the elder can already remember, recognise and sing melodies (he's 2 1/2), so that he actually recognises the Shire theme, sings himself folklore songs before sleep and can actually sing some old Czech baroque songs (Michna's Czech Lute) and the rendition is often hauntingly precise. (However he seems to prefer Blind Guardian to Maiden, well... that makes two of us, *evil laughter*). Also, he can recognise letters and he's starting to learn to read certain syllables.

The younger (10 mths) can already stand up and sort-of walk around the furniture and soon he'll be probably saying his first words. He's also much cuddlier than the other one.

Also - I don't know where to put it (I could swear we had a "plagiarism" thread, but I can't find it now)

Need your tuppence regarding this and it concerns "inspiration" in classical music.

Like, when Bach "borrowed" Telemann's opening to a Flute Concerto in G major for his absurdly famous second movement of the 5th keyboard concerto - see for yourself

vs

But tell me - am I really the only one who definitely hears Morricone in Puccini's Dammi i colori? (or vice versa, to be more precise). I mean, listen to those sixths, especially at the very end. I think it's even in the same key as the Once Upon a Time in the West's Jill's theme. Right? RIGHT?

It came to mind, because Once Upon a Time in the West (or, well, the theological-anthropological interpretation thereof) was actually the subject of my Bachelor's thesis and you know... when you hear some piece of music a hundred times, you start to think about it more.

(Wifey actually agrees with me, but I wanted a second opinion)

No5 before September 3rd: Seeking Company's driver to visit clients in the suburbs.
After September 3rd: Volunteering to drive for 500+ km business trips. :D

So, a friend's girlfriend works in a music shop, in which they had a display for Senjutsu featuring a cardboard cut-out samurai Eddie. At the end of the promotional period, the display got taken down and Eddie was available to anyone who wanted him and they very kindly offered him to me. How could I turn down a life-size Eddie? :lol:

20211001_165747.jpg

Back