Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Thank you all. We were sent home today after doing an EEG scan. The scan prodecure itself didn't go great, due to him being so upset, but they got enough readings to deem that there were no signs of the seizures being epileptic - To be fair though, EEGs aren't exact (MRI's are more though, but putting such a small child through one isn't so easy), so it can't entirely be ruled out either. If he has another attack we'll call the ambulance again, run another scan and put him on medication.

There is no known hisstory of epilepsy running in the family, and it's extremely rare that one develops it without prior family history - So that, along with the EEG scan showing no signs is somewhat a relief. They couldn't say, or guess, what caused it though as he didn't have a fever and they didn't find any infections - His temperature has been elevated though every now and then and he was a bit low on energy the other day which suggests something wasn't right though and we were away at a hotel stay for the first time at the time of the first attack, so being without us for 22 hours was completely new to him, so who knows if these factors contributed. But we're hoping this is an isolated event and we're both staying home for the week.

Hey Yax, I'm happy for the good news.

I can pitch in my example here too, as I've had a violent seizure at age of 7, which I don't remember, and I've spent the following 7 years, which is the entire elementary school, on light medication (take some pills daily), and monthly EEG checks. Seizures never came back, and throughout that time I wasn't even aware that something is happening. Later in my life I've went above and beyond of what's not recommended for epilepsy, such as going to rave parties with bodily-chemical condition which is suitable for rave parties. This all made me believe that I'm totally fixed.

However later on (like couple of years ago) I've spoken to a psychologist professional (the entry talk in a new company) and she said that the doctors went overboard and probably diagnosed child epilepsy instead of a brain fever or something like that.

Also, child epilepsy is not epilepsy per.se. because it is common for unhandled situations to arise in a developing brain. So looking into family med history probably isn't a right thing to do.

Reactions: Yax
This is a fucking nightmare. My 11.5 month old Child has has 2 spasmic seizures in 1 day. Never had before. Admitted to hospital for epileptic investigation. Worst day of my life and I've had pne extremely shitty before.
My brother experiences seizures as well. He's had ones of varying levels. Twice he had to be taken to the hospital and put on a breathing machine, but that was years ago and now we're able to catch them coming on early so we can get some lorazepam in him to stop them from getting worse.

This is a fucking nightmare. My 11.5 month old Child has has 2 spasmic seizures in 1 day. Never had before. Admitted to hospital for epileptic investigation. Worst day of my life and I've had pne extremely shitty before.
I hope for you, your wife and naturally, last but not least, your son, this will get better Yax.

Reactions: Yax
Back