Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

My recommendations is only replace the 98 remasters if that's what you have. I think there isn't a huge difference between the original of any Maiden album and the 2015, but both those versions are considerably better than 1998.
This for the 80s albums, after that get Fear of the Dark, Dance of Death, and The X Factor. Avoid Number of the Beast, haven’t heard the debut.

I think I might go for the remasters of all four reunion albums. Are there any others I need to consider? The Blaze albums, perhaps?
Eh, might as well ask @Cornfed Hick and @Mosh.
I like the recent 180-gram vinyl reissues of Brave New World and Dance of Death, and I think they sound better and more dynamic than the original CDs, which were pretty badly compressed. Same with Rock In Rio. As for AMOLAD through Book of Souls, I’ve only really spent time with the original CDs, I think they sound fine, but I don’t know if the remasters are an improvement. The original CD of AMOLAD in particular was supposedly “unmastered,” which I think just means they didn’t futz with the EQ much. Whatever, it resulted in a warmer, more natural sound than the previous reunion releases. You still have Caveman’s rather muddy production, but no remaster can really fix that.

Reactions: Yax
The original CD of AMOLAD in particular was supposedly “unmastered,” which I think just means they didn’t futz with the EQ much. Whatever, it resulted in a warmer, more natural sound than the previous reunion releases. You still have Caveman’s rather muddy production, but no remaster can really fix that.
Basically, Shirley just put some finalizing compression and limiting to bring the overall level up, rather than having a mastering engineer multiband compressing it (one compressor band for the low end, one for the low mid, one for the upper and one for the top band, all compressing their spectral part of the mix individually) and squashing it to death like i.e. TBOS to have a super cool extra loud CD.

I think the AMOLAD vinyl reissue is an improvement though. Peak wise it's more dynamic (although the bus compression is tighter, not necessarily a bad thing) and extended low and top end. The original is roughly 2.5dB louder than the vinyl when ripped and normalized.

Last edited:
@The Flash

dcle8adatwg51.jpg

"professor dr. Name Surname", someone forgot to fill in the template :D
Like my all time favourite headline: "Four Deck Header Here'.

Local press is the best for funny moments :D

I was watching a live stream of the football match between FRedrikstad FK and the rivals from neighbour town Halden* (FK Kvik Halden). Everyone expected a tight game, Kvik were top of the table before the game with a superior goal difference. But between the 17th and the 28th minute, Fredrikstad had more or less killed the game and were 4-0 up!

The commentators were from Halden and they had obviously lost all enthusiasm well before half time. So what did it take to get them going in the 90th minute, with a 1-5 scoreline?

A big wasp in the commentator's box! "I've never seen a wasp that big" ... "It's almost the size of a seagull" ... "fortunately, it went away ...."

I maintain that Maiden's publicity and marketing operation is done on the back of a soggy beermat, and a cheap Wetherspoons one at that.

Today I had my first flight in a nosewheel aircraft since early June ... brought my brother and one of our aunts for a short flight in a Cessna. Right after we started the engine, my brother had trouble closing the window on the passenger side. Fortunately, another club member happened to be passing by and had a screwdriver ready, with which he tightened the loose screw that was blocking the window from closing.

We also witnessed the usefulness of ambulance helicopters being painted bright yellow as that allowed us to quite easily spot one that was flying on a course parallel to ours for several miles.

Back