Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Listening to When the Wild Wind Blows, I came to associate the line "have you heard, have you heard" with the character Krösa-Maja. Those familiar with the Swedish children's books about Emil i Lönneberga (or the filmatized version) will know what I mean :D

(Of course, I assume that only people from the Nordic countries would know those books, don't know how popular they were in e.g. Germany?)

Super popular in Germany. Half my children's books were from Sweden. I know I read it as a kid, but I'm not sure I remember what you're referring to.

Well, Krösa-Maja is known for being the one to spread all the rumours in the area, one particular episode that comes to mind is when Emil has eaten fermented cherries, and the pig and the chickens have done the same. Krösa-Maja goes around saying "have you heard it, have you heard it, Emil from Katthult has gotten drunk and beaten all the chickens to death!".

Listening to When the Wild Wind Blows, I came to associate the line "have you heard, have you heard" with the character Krösa-Maja. Those familiar with the Swedish children's books about Emil i Lönneberga (or the filmatized version) will know what I mean :D

(Of course, I assume that only people from the Nordic countries would know those books, don't know how popular they were in e.g. Germany?)
Emil i Lönneberga, and some other Astrid Lindgren's books were quite popular here when I was a kid.
1585747234489.png

Fabulous idea for a childrens book. No wonder I have yet meet a Scandinavian I didn't like.

Well, the story ends with Emil being taken to the town by his father and having to attend a meeting in the local IOGT, even promising to work for the cause of teetotalism :(

The film episode ends the day after, when Emil is seen smashing wine bottles against the stone fence ...

Now you would naturally ask, why would there be wine bottles in their home if Emil's father was a teetotaler?

Well, he was also fond of making money. Therefore when his wife had said yes to make some cherry wine for a lady from the town, Mrs. Petrell, he couldn't refuse that ...

Back