Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Dr. Eddies Wingman

Brighter than thousand_suns
I saw at least six dolphins playing in the sea this afternoon :)

Just off from Scarborough Castle.
I saw some porpoises on a ferry ride up north during my vacation. I did not know until just now that the English name was porpoise.

And now I know why one particular type of error while landing an aircraft is called porpoising. I have fortunately never done that.

Brigantium

Grim Reaper
Staff member
Wth. I've never yet seen a dolphin and I look out for them on every coastline. I've even failed to see them around Jersey.

Brigantium

Grim Reaper
Staff member
I saw some porpoises on a ferry ride up north during my vacation. I did not know until just now that the English name was porpoise.

And now I know why one particular type of error while landing an aircraft is called porpoising. I have fortunately never done that.
Extra points for recognising the difference between porpoising and a phugoid :p

Dr. Eddies Wingman

Brighter than thousand_suns
Apart from that porpoising is something that occurs by conscious (but too large) control inputs by the pilot whereas a phugoid cycle can sustain itself with no pilot input? (And that porpoising happens only during landing and involves bouncing off the ground)?

Black Abyss Babe

Quantum weather butterfly
Wth. I've never yet seen a dolphin and I look out for them on every coastline. I've even failed to see them around Jersey.
I never have before and I wasn't expecting to today - I thought they preferred warmer waters than what you find around North Yorkshire. But we were walking along Marine Drive looking out to sea and I noticed something that looked like a dorsal fin so I said "is that a shark out there?" thinking I was being funny. But then it appeared again and I realised it was a dolphin. Then I saw that there were several of them.

My big regret was not having my proper camera with me ... :(

Saapanael

A Citizen of the Republic of Geniuses
Screw this hangover. On the bright side, I can hit my loudest D2 ever this morning. A basso profundo am I.