Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I think that Eternity doesn't feel as an epic, because it has a pretty long MIDI synth-trumpet intro and because of the outro. If you strip it of those two parts, it would run at 6 minutes, which under the epic borderline IMO.

If they do it live again in the future, I think it should open the encores with "Woe to you..." replacing it's outro and going straight into TNOTB.

IESF has a lot more weight and scope than your average short rocker, for me, it has that in common with an epic, it just happens to be short when you cut the into/outro and stick to the meaty bits. It's just an opener with a heck of a lot of impact.

This is interesting. To me an "epic" has less to do with length and more to do with scope and ambition. So "Paschendale" and "Dance of Death" tick all the boxes but "Eternity", despite the length, feels like a short rocker - it feels much shorter than it is. "Infinite Dreams" is an example of a song I'd call an "epic in minature" - it's only just over 6 minutes long (approximately 1 1/2 minutes shorter than "Dance of Death", "Paschendale" and "Eternity") but it's quite proggy and it's got several sections and time changes: quite a lot to fit into a comparatively short song. So I would say that "Infinite Dreams" is an epic but "Eternity" is a straightforward rock song that just happens to go on for about 8 1/2 minutes.
I think I mentioned some time ago my personal thoughts: there are two kinds of epics - an epic and an epic song. "Epic" used as a noun I usually consider a song that's over 8 minutes. "Epic" used as an adjective can be any song, depending on your viewpoint.

In a land where pencils are sharpened.
Pen island?

Or penis land?
happy0084.gif

Back