Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Everyone must buy according to their own drink rates.

I would probably start hard and down one beer before Phantom had finished, only to slow down and fall asleep during before I even could get as far as Fear of the Dark.

Fun fact: I've just noticed that "If Eternity Should Fail" and "Paschendale" share the exact same length. Which is weird, because "Paschendale" sounds huge, while "Eternity" is pretty straightforward.

Eternity is one of the Maiden songs I consider "epics by accident". AKA somehow they're as long as an epic but I wouldn't consider to be "an epic".

What would be the others?
The Unbeliever
The Angel and the Gambler
Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger
Dream of Mirrors
The Nomad
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
The Man Who Would Be King

It also took me a while to come round to the idea of Dance of Death being an epic, and while it feels epic, Isle of Avalon is very epicless.

How about shorter songs that have an epic feel to them? For me they are:

Transylvania
Purgatory
Invaders
The Prisoner
Run To The Hills
Flight Of Icarus
The Trooper
Still Life
Aces High
Flash Of The Blade
The Duelists
Wasted Years
Sea Of Madness
The Prophecy
The Clairvoyant
Run Silent Run Deep
Mother Russia
Childhood's End
Lord Of The Flies
Look For The Truth
Lightning Strikes Twice
Brave New World
The Fallen Angel
Out Of The Silent Planet
Rainmaker
New Frontier
The Pilgrim
The Alchemist

Eternity is one of the Maiden songs I consider "epics by accident". AKA somehow they're as long as an epic but I wouldn't consider to be "an epic".
This is basically my point with regards to the lengths of recent Iron Maiden songs and the frequency of epics. The "epics" used to be the centrepieces of their respective albums but now they're ten-a-penny.

Fun fact: I've just noticed that "If Eternity Should Fail" and "Paschendale" share the exact same length. Which is weird, because "Paschendale" sounds huge, while "Eternity" is pretty straightforward.
Isn't that with the intros and outros, though? Paschendale mostly just gets on with the business of the meaty bits.

This is interesting. To me an "epic" has less to do with length and more to do with scope and ambition. So "Paschendale" and "Dance of Death" tick all the boxes but "Eternity", despite the length, feels like a short rocker - it feels much shorter than it is. "Infinite Dreams" is an example of a song I'd call an "epic in minature" - it's only just over 6 minutes long (approximately 1 1/2 minutes shorter than "Dance of Death", "Paschendale" and "Eternity") but it's quite proggy and it's got several sections and time changes: quite a lot to fit into a comparatively short song. So I would say that "Infinite Dreams" is an epic but "Eternity" is a straightforward rock song that just happens to go on for about 8 1/2 minutes.

Back