Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

So, our best friends have asked me and my wife to be the godparents of their firstborn.

You know what that means, roite?

The-Godfather-Marlon-Brando%20.jpg
Stock up on racehorses, now

Today we had the warmest 19 April ever, since the beginning of temperature registration (1901): In De Bilt (the seat of the headquarters of the Royal Dutch Meteorological Institute) it was 27,4 degrees Celsius. The old record was in 1988: 24,3 degrees. Today, in Lelystad, a city located in the green area
250px-Map_-_NL_-_Municipality_code_0995_%282009%29.svg.png
it was even 29,6 degrees!

It seems like Spring has finally arrived here in Chicago (after one last hurrah of 0 Celsius and a sleet storm on Wednesday). 12 C today and hopefully it stays around there or higher for the future.

We're getting that tomorrow...I can't wait. Travelling to Montreal during a huge ice storm was fun.

Hoping to get a bit of help from my European friends e.

I have a bit of a "go to a conference" budget this year. Thinking of a few in Europe. Idea being I'll go to the conference and fit in a day or two before or after to see the city, plus I'll have some time during the conference to see some stuff.

My main interests are history (18th to mid-20th centuries), architecture, food (of the non-seafood variety .. allergies), and just a nice place to wander around. I'll be car-less for this trip, so something easy to get around is a plus.

Narrowed it down to these where I think I will learn something, fits my schedule, and fits my budget.

Any of these stand out as being "yeah , go there, incredibly cool place" or "meh, not that great compared to the others"?

Late May/early June
Budapest. I have been there twice (including last year), love the city, but not sure I want to do a repeat so soon. Has the advantage of being cheap to get to and cheap once I am there.

June (never been to any of these places)
Bilbao
Antwerp
Hanover

September
Berlin (been there twice and enjoyed it. It has been about 5 years since I have been there)

October
Barcelona (never been there)

December
Helsinki (never been there, but guessing a tad chilly in December)

It seems like Spring has finally arrived here in Chicago (after one last hurrah of 0 Celsius and a sleet storm on Wednesday). 12 C today and hopefully it stays around there or higher for the future.

yeah, first Cubs game this year that did not look like torture to sit through yesterday

Back