Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

It's completely possible to spend time in Spain/Catalonia without eating seafood. It's probably harder trying to be veggie.

I would assume I could find a burger or steak there ... I have been to Asia twice (Hong Kong and Tokyo) .. Hong Kong was tough sledding, visited McDonalds a few times.

And/or if it really is only seafood there...you can check out if it really is a dislike for seafood in general or if you actually happen to like Barcelonian seafood!!! :puke::blush:

I remember the name but don't think I had one.

It's completely possible to spend time in Spain/Catalonia without eating seafood. It's probably harder trying to be veggie.
Galicia (North-West Spain) was tough, but the city I had a conference in has an excellent vegetarian restaurant. Madrid was fine though as its more international. New Orleans was awful though. There two vegetarian friendly places in the city and both were mobbed all week due to a conference with 20,000 people from all over the world. Sad!

And/or if it really is only seafood there...you can check out if it really is a dislike for seafood in general or if you actually happen to like Barcelonian seafood!!! :puke::blush:

I actually like seafood but I rarely eat it.

Shellfish, I am flat out allergic to, I swell up, have trouble breathing.
Other fish, there is a 50-50 chance I will end up spending many hours in the bathroom, which is the last thing I want with a 10 hour or so airplane ride ahead of me.

Anymore, I just avoid fish all together. Not worth it

Contrary to popular belief, paella isn't strictly a fish dish. The rustic Valencian version is made with snails and rabbit! Like any stew, or as with Italian pasta dishes, you would need to check there's no seafood ingredients, though. Black rice dishes coloured with squid ink are a thing. They were huge on ham, dried meat and sausages in Spain from what I remember, and I recall seeing foal steaks quite often.

Contrary to popular belief, paella isn't strictly a fish dish. The rustic Valencian version is made with snails and rabbit! Like any stew, or as with Italian pasta dishes, you would need to check there's no seafood ingredients, though. Black rice dishes coloured with squid ink are a thing. They were huge on ham, dried meat and sausages in Spain from what I remember, and I recall seeing foal steaks quite often.

I am completely happy with ham, dried meats, and sausages. My KOTOR character name is usually Darth Hamius

And we all agree that within the city of Barcelona it should be well possible to find something without seafood at all? We are after all talking about a city of millions :D

I had a vegetarian Paella in the centre of Madrid (Plaza Mayor). It was nice enough but was basically just like every other Paella minus the dead animals. The Spanish also like giving complementary bread with meals, although in Madrid they charge you.

Yeah, charging for bread/olives etc is fairly common in touristy places, although I found that in Italy too. The important parts of paella are the rice and saffron. You can stick whatever else you like in there. I'm never totally convinced that anything is genuinely veggie, though.

When I say 'ham', I mean the pungent stuff, some of it spicy. ;) I really liked Valencian food, actually. I don't understand why British tourists want chips and shit when they go to Spain.

Potatoes for the win
irish-potato.jpg

Back