Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Prime Minister confirmed an "attempt" by a "certain group in the armed forces". Fethullah Gülen's cemaat is very powerful in the armed forces and have been in a battle with the government for years after years of alliance. Might that be it?

Man oh man.

If that were true this would certainly arouse mixed feelings. One part of me screams YES: away with Erdogan. The other hopes it won't be a violent coup.

I wouldn't cheer so fast. Military coups very often trigger civil wars. I don't wish this upon the Turkish people.

I think I got it people.

Fethullah Gülen's "personnel" in the armed forces attempted a coup. The rest of the armed forces are fighting against them. This is a battle within the armed forces.

Bad news? If this is true, Erdoğan will get VERY powerful. Much more powerful than he's ever been. Likely pushes for an election straight away and manages the system change.

I think we're fucked either way. If it's a coup against the government, it's likely to turn into a civil war. If it's an inner conflict in the armed forces, it likely turns into more power for the government and then turns into a civil war. GG people. Gonna watch out for my ass.

I think I got it people.

Fethullah Gülen's "personnel" in the armed forces attempted a coup. The rest of the armed forces are fighting against them. This is a battle within the armed forces.

Bad news? If this is true, Erdoğan will get VERY powerful. Much more powerful than he's ever been. Likely pushes for an election straight away and manages the system change.

System change meaning formal abolishment of democracy?

I'm done posting. Just follow the news people, I'm sure everyone is covering this right now. I don't fucking know what's happening, I don't know what's gonna happen. H help us all.

Jesus fucking christ. I just hope that causalities are kept to a minimum, that's all I can really do at this point to help.

As we speak (a Dutch reporter tells live) the Turkish state television is showing the weather(!) report, while other stations show coupe-news/footage.

Are you really surprised?

According to BBC

"An army group in Turkey says it has taken control of the country
A statement from the military group read out on NTV television said: "The power in the country has been seized in its entirety." Who represents the group remains uncertain."

Not sure what to make of this.

Back