Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Maybe it says a lot about British actors from the last thirty years... or maybe there are hundreds of giants on the British screen?

In the media portrayed as a good actor but also as a sexy person and someone with a perfect voice. That certainly helps.

When just focusing on his acting, I wasn't that impressed by it. Then again, I only remember him from a few Harry Potter films. His theater work is probably from an entirely different nature.

Last edited:
Yeah, Foro, on this one, you're wrong. He was a superb modern villain, definitely not a third rate Vincent Price, but capable of great depth and emotion. I'm sorry that you're not linked into the actor, and you choose to judge someone by a tiny percent of his work. Wow.

I'm not a big Harry Potter fan myself but I think Rickman gave a fine performance as Severus Snape. He was definitely impressive there. Probably the most impressive acting performance in that entire series of films, in fact.

That's not really saying much...

There were a lot of fine actors in that series, you know. It wasn't just Radcliffe, Watson, Grint and the other young ones. Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman, Michael Gambon, Kenneth Branagh, Gary Oldman, Helena Bonham-Carter, Julie Walters, Ralph Fiennes, Miriam Margolyes, Emma Thompson, Imelda Staunton and so on.

Last edited:
There were a lot of fine actors in that series, you know. It wasn't just Radcliffe, Watson, Grint and the other young ones. Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman, Michael Gambon, Kenneth Branagh, Gary Oldman, Helena Bonham-Carter, Julie Walters, Ralph Fiennes, Miriam Margolyes, Emma Thompson, Imelda Staunton and so on.
Maggie Smith as Professor McGonagall is probably the most perfect casting in any adaption.

Academy Award winner Jim Broadbent too. Kids were solid, but adults were all way better acting-wise, but that's to be expected.

Snape: a tiny but important and much loved percentage of his work. The man was obviously loved a lot, but I hardly remember the guy. I have seen Die Hard, but that was a long time ago. I remember a couple of people (faces), but not his.

I just went through his filmography and found several films I have seen. Looks like I have seen him more often than I initially thought. Often he was not high in the credits, nor do I remember him much. I do remember his face from Perfume, when I see a picture of his character. That was a good role indeed.

Last edited:
Alan Rickman was one of my favourite actors. So sad. He was Severus Snape, made Die Hard perfect, was the best part of Love Actually and stole every moment of Prince of Thieves. RIP.

Back