Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever again work on a project where I'm supposed to write texts that get redacted by six people who are on holiday at different times. Never, ever, ever, ever again. Ever. Never ever.

I can hear the pain in this. :/

The fourth time you have to write a polite, eloquent and detailed email instead of just hammering in your keys, "WE FUCKING COVERED THIS TWO WEEKS AGO!" is decidedly too much.

I feel your pain. Today one of the guys I share office with (and currently am working on two projects with) was on the phone with our project manager. Basically, we have to deliver our part six weeks prior to any actual work being done. We need two months to do it and we don't even get one, and the reason is that someone at the other end needs three weeks to ... look at things.

When we do similar tasks directly with the end customer instead of via a third part, things flow so smoothly ... but alas, not so here.

My colleague is a patient man. But I could nearly hear the anger in his voice when talking with our project manager - who is one of our own. Can't show any of that to the customer.

Well, usually it doesn't. But right now I'm glad to take a week off, hopefully things have been sorted out when I return, so I can stick to doing actual engineering work.

Oh, and @Perun - don't ever do that again.

Well, from the other side of barricade - I work as product manager in my company. Part of my job is hiring people (I don't trust our HR people) so I have perfect team for my needs. Well... some interviews are just special and one of a kind. So, avarage salary in my country is like 398 USD so it kind of suck. So this one day doors open and there he is. Young. Handsome. Smart. Right after graduation. So we talk and talk and then talk some more and then we start talk about salary. You know - like gentlesirs. And he says "you know, I have degree in bullshitology so I deserve 2ooo USD. I mean - I don't have experiance but hell - you should pay me that much or I leave. I know what I'm worth" ok, fine by me - if you know your shit why not? I lead him to the department, point at PC and I tell him "ok, this is our test machine - install and configure tools and someone will grab you something to drink or eat and then we will do some work - if it's ok - job is yours".

I never seen someone turning white so fast.

His last words before leaving? "I never installed this app before, that's stupid". He wanted to be engineer.:facepalm:

I don't see my managers as being on the other side of the barricade, actually. And not the customer either. This time around it's more about the fact that we have to go through a third party who have their own procedures - procedures that end up slowing us down while at the same time requiring us to work faster.

I don't see my managers as being on the other side of the barricade, actually. And not the customer either. This time around it's more about the fact that we have to go through a third party who have their own procedures - procedures that end up slowing us down while at the same time requiring us to work faster.
So you're lucky man. In my company it's a war. And i mean it. But as far your situation goes - I understand. I'm kind in the middle - I know how to project stuff but I also work in marketing so I know how to sell stuff. In normal situation my boss know that I know more than him and he give me free hand. Except that one time - Imagine pain when you must explain how (and why) we are writting application for server to person who can't use Outlook without calling IT guy. Oh, and deadline is next month.

In general, the work culture in Norway (at least in engineering, I don't know how it is in finances) is quite solution-oriented. Blame games are rare. The project I was part of on my 3-week trip to China was a whole different story. Everyone seemed to be out to make somebody else responsible for the delays in the project. Made me happy I'm not a project manager in that one, must be very stressful.

Oh, in Poland it's almost always about blaming someone else. You don't even want to know how long I was fighting with that in my division. Finally I fired every single one of them.

Yeah, but it's so counterproductive. If you are honest and have balls to tell me "yeah, that's my mistake - what now?" I'm able to help you. But if you blame someone else everybody is wasting time for figure out what went wrong.

Yeah, but it's so counterproductive. If you are honest and have balls to tell me "yeah, that's my mistake - what now?" I'm able to help you. But if you blame someone else everybody is wasting time for figure out what went wrong.

Exactly, which is why I'm happy to observe that it isn't that common around here.

Back