Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Good shout, lad.

I have a bottle of whiskey in the corner which I'm ignoring. Sticking to a few beers tonight as I'm intending to be running by 9 am tomorrow.

I also intend to run tomorrow. And polish my car (did a thorough washing job yesterday, couldn't do the polishing today due to rain). And watch United vs Spurs, of course. I'll still have that Scotch.

Because I'm worth it.

When using this forum on my phone, the 'like' option is worryingly close to 'warn'. Remind me not to come here when drubl. :D

I gave up halfway through the 2nd book and never tried again. Though that was 10ish years ago. I read The Hobbit before I tried LOTR and it was much better.

I was about 12 or 13 the first time I read LotR.
Don't recall struggling with it at all. Rather, it was fascinating and very hard to put down.

My younger daughter grew up on the Jackson films. She could recite most of the Two Towers movie line for line at age six.
She's 16 now and a smart kid. Earlier this summer told me she figured it was time for her to tackle the books.
That was more than a month ago. I don't think she's gotten through Concerning Hobbits.

Why? Are you going to seriously tell me that reading LotR isn't a committment, that the books are easy novels that you just zoom through without any deeper thought or feelings?
From the moment I started, I never wanted to finish a story as fast as this one. The most effortless book ever. Age 13 probably.

I never struggled either, but it definitely was a book that was all-encompassing, and keeping track of the world Tolkien designed was effort. Effort I easily invested in the novels, but still, it takes work. It makes you think is probably how I should have phrased it.

Back