Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Okay, there's no other Canadians on the forum right now, but I will say @Perun should remember being a young man in Canada and seeing Heritage Minutes on tv. Essentially, they are one minute short commercials that talk about an event or person in Canadian history. Pretty much everyone who was a kid in the 90s has a bunch of them memorized, and they still play today.

Like the one with Jacques Cartier encountering a tribe of Algonquin who welcomed him to their village, which they called Ka-naata, and Cartier thought that was the name of the whole country?

Not sure it was Cartier and the Algonquin, but I know that was the punch line. :p

Opening a topic on this would be a bit exaggerated because I don't think that much people would be into this music. I also couldn't find a fitting one to put it in.
Then there's always this topic. Room for everything!

Manitas De Plata, legendary flamengo guitarist, died on the age of 93 (and sold 93(!) million albums)!

Background info:
Manitas de Plata only agreed to play in public ten years after the death of Django Reinhardt, unanimously considered the king of gypsy guitarists. One of his recordings earned him a letter by Jean Cocteau acclaiming him as a creator. Upon hearing him play at Arles in 1964, Pablo Picasso is said to have exclaimed "that man is of greater worth than I am!" and proceeded to draw on the guitar.

Manitas de Plata is the father of Jacques, Maurice, and Tonino Baliardo and uncle to Paul, François (Canut), Patchaï, Nicolas and André Reyes (the sons of renowned flamenco artist José Reyes), all members of the world-famous Rumba Flamenca musicians, Gipsy Kings.

Music!:
(the guy on the right)

Manitas with Salvador Dali:

Like the one with Jacques Cartier encountering a tribe of Algonquin who welcomed him to their village, which they called Ka-naata, and Cartier thought that was the name of the whole country?

Not sure it was Cartier and the Algonquin, but I know that was the punch line. :p
Yes, like that one, except this one is about hockey during World War 1.

I've been doing archeological research in the deep layers of my hard drive, the folders that haven't been touched for years. It's full of strange surprises.

Back