Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Every asshole who thought this is a better way to teach match should be fucking shot

8ef7c930-b44a-11e3-84f5-9547b2943d40_commoncorephoto.png

Unfortunately, that type of teaching has become incredibly popular in today's schools. Administrators and teachers claim it is a way to teach "visual learners" how to do basic math (i.e. slow kids). So, essentially, 90% of a class has to suffer some insane concept like this to be taught a simple subtraction problem, because social promotion allows children from various intelligence levels to congregate in the same classrooms. It confuses 90% of the class, and wastes 100% of the day.

It's not just one asshole out there. There's a hell of a lot of people who came up with common core. Many people actually think that way.

The problem is that *I* don't think that way, because I am above average intelligence. Perun doesn't think that way. You don't.

Maybe I would have had a better chance at making friends with maths if I hadn't spent my first three school years in three different schools that had three different ways of teaching maths.

It is insanely stupid to you and I, who learned math an entirely different way. Hell, we aren't conditioned to think this way at all, not automatically - even though it's very similar to how I do math in my head for big numbers (which, in the end, is the point). The reason this is being used is because it'll help later when they're teaching bigger numbers.

First Grade

1.OA.2

Solve word problems that call for addition of three whole numbers whose sum is less than or equal to 20, e.g., by using
objects, drawings, and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem.

There are cookies on the plate. There are 4 oatmeal raisin cookies, 5 chocolate chip cookies, and 6 gingerbread cookies. How
many cookies are there total?

I used a number line. First I jumped to 4, and then I jumped 5 more. That’s 9. Then I jumped 1 more to make 10. Then, I jumped 5 more and got 15. There are 15 cookies on the plate.

The hell...? :huh:

What?! Wait a second. Who decides whose intelligence is above average? And who gives anybody the right to believe others are more stupid than they are just because they think in a different way?

Then go read on and see what I wrote about how I think (and how many people here were taught to think), and you'll see I'm the one arguing that this style of teaching has a place in the classroom, whereas others think it's stupid and should be tossed out.

I read on. I still think this has nothing to do with quantitative measurements of intelligence. It's just a different type of perception.

Back